Lurssen Mastering Console,the biggest gimmick of 2016 or....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Von_Steyr, Mar 19, 2016.

?

Is it a gimmick?

1. YES.

53 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. No.

39 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. 4-LOM

4-LOM Member

What I think a big problem I have with products like this is: "Don't worry your pretty little head over it, we know what's best."
    Should actually learning the difference between mixing and mastering, and the sordid details of what works and why, be actively discouraged?
    Having to do a little homework, making some mistakes, getting your hands dirty- this is how people improve in a meaningful way..
    Maybe for some, the lesson is ultimately "Don't try to master your own material."
    One Reason says he loves it- more power to him, if he finds it a timesaver and gets results he likes out of it.
    For me, having more than one saved chain (depending on the material) that I've already invested the time in tweaking (and that enable me the option of adjusting details within that chain if necessary) is what works for me.
    Clients can have more or less developed ears, more or less of a vision or goal for the final outcome- it's why I'm a fan of knowing your tools inside and out- I can work quickly, yet the ability to try a few things and have a wider range of choices isn't diminished.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yes,its Gus :) Clever show indeed!

3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Great point.
    Also about the presets,I dont have the time to guess what will fit on my song,i need to dial in and make adjustments fast,i dont have all day for a few tweaks.
    For this money you can get an Acustica channel strip and a mastering plugin and have all the control you want over your sound.

4. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

When i want something impressive, yet subtle (and for cheap), i use a single instance of Nebula Console master strip on my master.
    And i can choose between several "flavors" (kind of "preset" spirit) of master channels.
    And of course, some others generic plugins (EQ, comp...) if needed.

The usual "magical" plugin with "a lot of ingredients, but you don't know the recipe" spirit is irritating me.
    It is like selling a magical black box for 250 bucks, with "something you can't understand, punk !" inside.

Mastering is an human process, because for now, only an human can know what is best or not TO an human.
    Everything else is just snake oil. Not because it is bad, but because it is "automatic" and "magic".
    And the usual "plugin for non experimented ppl" is a joke : 250 bucks ? Most "non experimented" ppl will need to treat their room, buy monitors and good headphones before putting 250 bucks in a f*kin plugin ! And learn mastering after that ;)

What's next ? A plugin with every mastering master as "preset" ? Common...be serious.
    It is a plugin for ppl with too much money to spend. And that's why it is high priced : because there are few ppl on Earth with too much money...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

Pretty much, I don't agree with bedroom producers mastering their own music for the simple fact that. Not only are ME experienced and trained in knowing exactly what to listen for. They also have dedicated equipment, that most up and coming musicians more than likely never heard of, or could afford. On top of that, they're working in professionally treated rooms. That's a major difference from a guy with a few blocks of auralex foam and a copy of ozone 7.

6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yes but most people cant afford quality mastering and cheap mastering can destroy your mix,some people are just scammers,so when people try mastering themselves they slowly learn and get good results with it,some even professional results after a while.

7. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I'm with Von_Steyr : if you take the time to learn how to do mastering, you can do much better that the usual "Abbey Road online" one...and for free !
    Because plugins like VOS/Bootsy are free. And more than enough to do a decent job.
    On the other side, you can take any hyped plugin, and totally ruin a mix by turning a single button...or using any preset.

You don't know what you do because you lack listening room, experience... > you will make a mess with ANY plugin, even a 250 one.
    You know what you do > you can do mastering, even with free plugins.

Everything else are just bullsh*t arguments, running in circle.

Sorry to be rude, but sometimes, someone need to tell the truth...even if it hurts.
    A newbie will still a newbie, even with 3K of so called "magic" plugins.

You know what to do, or not. Hardware and software will just help AFTER you ALREADY know what you do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

A newbie wouldn't even know how to operate a manley or spl pq. No offense, but your point is kind of moot. You can take for granted the quality of equipment all you want. But knowledgeable minds who've actually worked in and/or around professional studios, knows that good mastering hardware yields excellent results. If you're serious about music, you'd either a.) invest in taking your music and getting it professionally mastered. Or b.) invest time into understanding the processes of mastering and a shyt load of money investing in a nice size treated area, different monitor sources, and mastering eq and compression racks.

9. The best way to master a track is to use a mastering engineer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

yep that's me.

11. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

I use Wavelab 9 and a mastering chain especially crafted to Master Techno music in general, but also other types of dance music, with a tweak or two.
    It's not having the most fancy plugin or more expensive equipment that makes your tracks sound good. In my Label, I receive tracks from the artist, and most of the time (Like 90%) all the small mistakes are done by those who don't know how to use a fuc**ng simple EQ.
    Even yesterday I got 2 tracks send by a artist, and one was "ok", but the other.... a nightmare of overboosting bass and lack of a EQ almost in all channels... Then I kindly ask them to remove a little bit of Bass, and the answer was: "How"? Are you kidding me???

12. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

Thank you for this. Most people don't understand mastering:)

13. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

meanwhile updated to 1.1

• Multi-Mono operation – From mastering to mixing and surround
      The Lurssen Mastering Console plugin can be inserted in mono, stereo, multi-channel tracks and busses in any compatible DAW for ultimate flexibility as both a mastering and mixing tool. The new mono operation not only allows users to use the plugin on mono tracks (such as vocals, bass, guitars etc.) in regular mixing sessions, or stereo busses for stem mixing or mastering duties, but it can also be used on 5.1 surround, or even larger surround projects, depending on the DAW. The parameters, presets and styles will remain consistent across all instances on a multichannel bus when the settings are linked. This will allow greater precision and consistency in surround operation for the highest quality results.
    • More Styles: Jazz and Classical
      Mastering Jazz and Classical music is a very delicate process where every tiny adjustment can make or ruin the final master. Thanks to the experience of the Lurssen Mastering team, spanning over 30 years in all kinds of music genres, Gavin Lurssen and Reuben Cohen have developed two new “Styles” for use within these specific contexts. Each Style has been meticulously crafted to reflect Gavin Lurssen’s motto: “You want it sound like you were never there,” meaning the sound will be enhanced and optimized but without altering the original artist’s intent.
    • Extended De-esser threshold control range
      In order to provide users with an extended control over higher frequencies in any given audio material (whether it is a vocal track or an entire mix,) the De-esser “Threshold” control range has been extended by 3 decibels. This applies to all versions of the product.
    • Noiseless analog character
      The new update improves the sound quality even further by retaining all the subtle nuances of the original analog mastering chain while simultaneously removing the intrinsic noise of the hardware machines for a superior, crystal clear sound.

14. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

...and still nothing special.

15. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

What about become the mastering engineer?

16. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

[​IMG]

17. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Something that's bugging me is what is actually the purpose of Ozone? From the point of view of Izotope? They define it as a mastering tool, they even created Alloy that is a Ozone for mixing purposes... So when are you supposed to use Ozone? I don't get their vision. And I agree with yours obviously.

18. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

why on Earth would a thing like that ever bug a person? can't you just don't give a fuck?

a mastering tool. a mastering tool is intended for mastering. quality and purposefulness is often debatable with things, but yes, you're right. a mastering tool indeed.

19. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Can't people ask questions and have opinions on topic without your regulations? You like it; have fun. But I'm not going to "shut up" because I don't.

20. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Well I actually don't give a fuck but it doesn't mean I'm not curious to know. If I was really minding this I would do researchs, not casually post on forums and wait for answer.