LUNA - Free Windows DAW by Universal Audio

Discussion in 'DAW' started by AudioEnzyme, May 25, 2024.

1. clone

clone Audiosexual

I cannot think of another current DAW I would like to use less than LUNA. Maybe that Harrison one. Them getting rid of the hardware requirement does not make it any more attractive. The whole being a beta tester for a product where they blame you for the problems is not my idea of fun.

2. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

What exactly can it do better than my highly customized REAPER? Ah, yep, I see. Nope, not interested.

3. MFSAKA

MFSAKA Ultrasonic

Nothing. Reaper, still a fastest way to do things in digital audio. But it's still weird and gypsy.

4. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

it's part of the charm

5. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Robust MIDI implementation not yet offered.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

They want you to have iLok Manager installed for the same reason you need to install UA Connect to use a "free plugin". So you can easily make poor decision impulse purchases from them later. That's probably why their installer for their HW interfaces installs EVERY plugin they sell into your iLok account just awaiting a few mouse clicks to activate. (or close to it).

7. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Look as capable as Audacity, aside from the fact that Audacity isn't iLok protected and can host VST3.

8. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

Impressive start, Universal Audio, a year later still looks like a project stillborn

9. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

It's still very buggy atm but it sounds amazing!

10. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

I like it. I use Luna alongside Cubase and Ableton, and I also own the complete UAD bundle, so I'm definitely a UAD fan. However, I agree that Luna still has a long way to go. That said, I have fun using it. The console and tape integration is neat and reminds me of ProTools Heat, which I also really liked.

11. Haze

Haze Producer

So, the article leads with "Analogue-inspired". Such a unique concept in digital audio that well over 50% of all audio software ever developed makes the claim. A claim that is based on the ever-present gullibility of the uneducated consumer that "analog" is somehow inherently better than "digital". This is 2024 folks, not 1980.

The UAD page makes it pretty obvious who this software is aimed at:

"Sound like your favorite records".

"Get your songs sounding like the records you love".

"sound like the records you love".

"Mix like a pro".

It gets better..

"No Engineering Degree Required". Because all of the other DAWs out there do and if you are a beginner life will be so much easier with Luna..

"Anyone can get great sound in LUNA, no audio engineering chops necessary". Wow, we're truly in Lala Land with this one.

"It Just Sounds Better". Because we say so. No honestly it does. No word of a lie. Hand on heart truth. It just does. If you can't tell the difference it's obviously your ears that aren't trained enough or you're passing your audio through standard speaker cables. Here, buy these special UAD audiophile cables at £3k a metre, you'll probably hear the difference then.

"Users and critics agree that LUNA just sounds better". Ooh, point me to their analysis. What? You don't have any links at the moment due to an administrative error. Ok, I look forward to viewing your endorsements in the future.

"Want proof?". Err, yes please.

"Experience a mix as if you were seated at a vintage console". At which point the whole user base disintegrates into a useless puddle on the control room floor due to their lack of ability to control the monster. And because we all miss the maintenance - I hope they've modelled broken preamps, scratchy intermittent pots and dodgy faders in their emulation for that truly "analog" feel.

"The DAW used by countless GRAMMY-winning musicians and mix engineers." A bold claim indeed. Who are these top-flight engineers? Nobody stepping forward? Hmm, I thought as much..

"LUNA has a sound". I would suggest that any DAW that imparts a "sound" to your digital audio is in fact damaging it. "Sound" should be a choice that the user is in control of.

"The sound of a million-dollar analog recording studio" Yeah sure. The sound of a $1m acoustically designed facility with precision audio paths and high-end monitoring. I'll have three of those thanks.

This is my favourite :
    "Included artist sessions from Luis Cato, Atticus Ross, Cass McCombs, Cold War Kids, and more.*"

"*Use of artist names does not constitute official endorsement of UAD software" Now I wonder why that would be?

12. Bandit

Bandit Producer

Tested it. Works fine for me. No issues. Nice integration with the UAD plugins. Maybe I'll give a spin to mix and master some tracks. Really producing I think it is still too limited for me. Especially when it comes to midi. It is very similar to Cubase in my opinion. Time will tell.

13. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

Exactly what happened to me with every version of BitWig :rofl:
    That's why i never tested it ... crashing with the most sold audio interface :rofl: