LPX 10.1: To Upgrade Or Not...

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Dr. Howard, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Ultrasonic

So, I was hesitant to move from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion..
    Now, with this new LPX update, I'm contemplating Mavericks.. ugh.
    I hear Yosemite is a mess, and Mavericks was/is really buggy.

I'm running a Mac Pro Octal Core with 16GB ram..
    What are people's thoughts, experiences, challenges, etc..?
    Much Appreciated

:grooves:

3. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

If you have a free drive... use Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your drive. Boot to the new clone and run the update and see how it works for you.
    On release my first attempt wasn't great so i stuck with Mavericks. After a few update releases Yosemite seemed to be better and my switch has been hassle free so far.

When you come to upgrade for real, clone your existing drive so if it all ends up a mess you can revert back in a few minutes ;)
    Spare drive and CCC is perfect combo on Mac. Also if a drive fails you always have a working OS

Hope this helps

4. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Ultrasonic

How is 10.9.5? Stable? Buggy?

5. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I'm on 10.9.5 on a MacBook Pro. No problems here.

6. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Mavericks 10.9.5 is probably the most stable and actually Yosemite is getting there, why some folks are still on Snow is beyond me your missing out on so much new great apps and plugs

7. JoeR.

JoeR. Member

Hello guys.

I have the same problem... I am on 10.8.6 and don't know update to 10.9.5 or no..?

Mac book Pro Retina

8. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

im on mavericks 0 problems here. Everything i have works.

9. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

Yosemite is not a mess at all. I find it a refined Mavericks. That's just me and my computer.

10. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Kapellmeister

im on Yosemite and zero issues,all the apps are working fine except guitar rig 5 that stop working on yosemite.

11. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

1.9.5 with 1000 selected plus and rocking *yes*

12. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Logic 10.1 is a great update! Steinberg would have charged for these features I am pretty sure. And Mavericks is really good. Snappier than Mountain Lion! I think Lion and Mountain Lion were both shit compared to Snow Leopard, but Mavericks was actually good.

13. SomeOtherGuy

SomeOtherGuy Member

I installed the update yesterday and while I haven't tested most of the new features, ALMOST everything seems to work perfectly and many annoying bugs are fixed.

I have found one issue with automation however. I opened a project I was working on in 10.0.0.7, but the automation points seems to have slipped by a few samples. The only reason I even noticed this was because my automation was tightly connected to the beat and upon opening in LPX 10.1 the automation was off and it sounded out of sync. When I dragged the automation points back into place the project was fine again.

14. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Ultrasonic

I appreciate everyone's opinions here. My main thing, beyond stability, (for which I agree, Snow Leopard was that !), is this weird iOS -ization of OS X!
    So, even going to Mtn. Lion was painful, but I was using FCPX and LPX, and Apple continues to keep us on the treadmill, eh?!
    So, here we are again, with this latest update. And I see some very cool new features to embrace.
    I will be upgrading, but with a CCC of my current Sys…

:grooves:

15. SomeOtherGuy

SomeOtherGuy Member

Just to follow up my earlier post, several of my previous Logix Pro X (10.0.7) projects seemed to be seriously messed up after opening in 10.1. Timing seems to be the main issue, tracks are getting out of sync by half a measure, but not all tracks, which is what really screws things up bad. And I'd swear, just looking at the clock and piano roll cursor and listening to it, that the audio output is half a measure late in relation to where the cursor is on the screen. More investigation is required, however it won't be by me, I need to get work done, so Time Machine to the rescue and I'm back to 10.0.7 until there's a point update from Apple.

16. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

i'm with Some other guy i find LPX 10.1 more glitch with the video and slightly slower.

you can save both version just rename LPX to Lpx 10.0.7 before installing lpx 10.1

17. relexted

relexted Producer

Noticed some timing issues too with audiofiles when I opened a 10.0.7 project in 10.1. Nothing you can't fix though ..
    Initially I thought I screwed things up myself earlier.. Maybe not?!

On topic: Make sure you have a backup before updating anything. always..

18. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I just played around with the new Drum Machine Designer in Logic 10.1. And I think it is a really, really great Tool for Beatmakers/ Hip-Hop/EDM Producers like myself. I think it is so good, that I might leave Maschine behind as my main Production Hub. It really has a lot of potentional due to the way it is designed. Lots of control, but easy accesible.

Basically, Drum Machine Designer is a frontend or Hub of Ultrabeat with included Routings, Channelstrips and Makros, which work really well together. And that's where it gets really interesting, because you can customize existing makros and build your own. Similar to Ableton Live. The Makros are available for the Drum Maschine Bus, where they control the Mix Levels of Kick, Snare, Hi hats and Percs as well as Effets (like Hi-Cut,Low Cut, Reverb) but Makros are also available for each of the 32 Sample/Sound slots of Ultrabeat. So this can go pretty deep as you will find out…

I opened up the Boom Bap Kit that's included in the library and had a look at the Makros (Controls and Sends) for Kick, Snare and Hi-Hat. Additional to the usual suspects like Pitch, Pan and Volume you find controls that are essential and specifically catered to the type of Sample that is in that slot.

In the Makro for the Kick of this peticular Drum Kit for example, I found the following Makros:

SUB, which is conected to the Saturation and Slope of the Oscillator Section of Ultrabeat;
    DISTORTION, wich is connected to 2 Parameters of thee "Overdrive" Plugin on the Insert of the Kick Channel. Turning the Makro up increases the drive but reduces the output of the Plugin at the same time which is really smart,
    ENVELOPE: is connected to an Enveloper Plugin on the Insert and controls 4(!) Parameters: Gain, Threshold, Time and Output Level – by turning ONE Knob!
    BODY: is connected to single band of bell EQ @162 HZ with a wide Q and +/- 24 dB range.
    PRESENCE: is connected to another band of the same EQ at aroun 2,5 kHz with the same range

On the HiHat Slot I found this Knob called Tone+/- which is a combination of EQ Gain, Low Cut, a Bell and High Shelf that all interact with one another upon turning the Makro! And it is not just the Low Cut closing and everything else increasing in volume. Center frequencies are shifting, gain decrease and the increases again. It's a really useful tool for shaping the sound of your hihats.

You can drag and drop sounds from the library onto the sample slots of the Drum Machine Designer and change sounds on the fly. Along with the note repeat function I think this is an awesome addition to Logic.

If I can bring in my own drums and chopped breaks too I think this might be a game changer for me. I would create my own makros with my go to plugins and settings.

To make a longe story short and to answer your Question: Y E S, it's worth it