LowLinK (My EDM Project)

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Oddlaga, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Oddlaga

Oddlaga Member

Hello fellow audiosexual people, I've been into rock and playing bass for ten years, but I discovered electronic music in like 2014 and since them I fell in love with bass heavy music (not the rock type of bass, mind you, but I guess I love every type of bAss).

It took me a long time to get any good at making EDM, but this year I think I got good enough that I feel confortable showing people my music. I was a big fan of the Monstercat of the old days (like Muzzy, Stephen Walking, Pegboard Nerds), so of course I tried to send them my stuff, and of course I got turned down (I doubt they even listen to demos these days, it's all about those artist with big following for that money, if you know what I mean, even this LabelRadar thing seems like a way to lure people into paying to people listen to their tracks, kinda sad, but how the industry works, I guess).

But even before they replied to me (I already expected to be turned down. of course, but they could at least write something meaninful, not just a "nope, next") I decided I would release my own stuff and make my own cover art and that type of thing. I'm a big Asian Kung-Fu Generation (they are my favorite Japanese band, blame it on Naruto I guess), and their cover art is always cool and remarkeable, I remember even downloading the single covers to put them in the songs so I had all the different art. Since I wanted to do something similar, I also draw an anime girl for each of my covers, trying to make her different and related to the theme of the song. I haven't drawn in paper in years, so I just use my mouse and draw a bunch of lines and bend them until it looks good to me, which takes quite some time, like half of what a song takes! But I believe the cover art it's an important extension of my art.

So enough blabber, I'm gonna leave my two latest tracks, the two first tracks I made since I decided my skills were there to make the EDM music that I wanna make. I would really appreciate any feedback you guys wanna give me. This site has been really important in my journey to become a better EDM producer and a better musician, in general. Thanks a bunch!

3. An entire generation stuck in time. Nearly 30 years making the same kind of music.

4. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

Nice tracks... Loved scarab once the riser comes in around 1:00 ... Loved the lead sound on Snake Charmer.

Mixes felt a little harsh and perhaps the low end could get "oomphier" (this is not really my style of music... so take that with a pinch of salt).

Good job!

5. stoiximan

stoiximan Platinum Record

f@CKING A!!!This is great

6. Oddlaga

Oddlaga Member

Thanks, I think it could use more bass, but Scarab is in C, so it's not exactly the best key for subbass in the end (the main note would be really, really low, so you could only hear the fundamental with huge speakers, I tried the with the lower subbass and it was taking too much headroom and not adding much to the song, so I decided it would have less subbass).

For the mixes, I've been trying to improve and I think I made a lot of progress in the past 5 years, but yeah, specially on SnakeCharmer, there's this bit of annoying high end on the lead that I tried to tame a bit, but the lead ended up sounding weird and less powerful with less of the high end, maybe I could use a desser tuned to higher frequencies or some dynamic EQing? But in general I prefer to keep things simple and go for simple EQing to solve mixing problems (maybe I should try some new tools, I'll keep that on mind in the future).

I used songs from Knife Party's "Abandon Ship" album as reference for EQing, they have a particular curve that can sound a bit harsh, but I think works great for this type of music (I remember hearing "Give It Up" on my way home and thinking, OMG this sound so completely full aggressive and and awesome, so this is why I chose it as reference).

Thank a lot hehe, I've a lot of other songs ideas I've been working the padt few yeaes, hopefully I'll finish them soon.

I mean, people been into rock for more than 50 years now, I don't think there necessarily something bad about "being stuck in time" if you're trying to add something new to the old good stuff.

Thanks a bunch for listening yall!