Low Results in LatencyMON

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by One Reason, Dec 3, 2012.

1. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I have an i7 940, 18 Gb of ram.. Win 7 Ultimate and a Steinberg UR28M audio card..I have done , and always do, the recommended speed tweaks, shutting off useless services, a tweaked powerplan, indexing off etc....

Yet..when I run LatencyMON... I get these results..

[​IMG]

I cant think of any reason it would tell me my system doesn't appear capable..?

Also why the RED on the bottom section, (no idea what it means) I assume thats the root of the issue?

I don't have particularly bad latency issues, but I do think It could be lower than it is, on a system like mine.

I typically get it down to about 25-30 ms of round trip latency, at a buffer size of 256 samples. Any lower and on Medium to larger projects it starts breaking up.

The settings go down to 64 samples.. but set to that.. a single track breaks up.

Any help would be appreciated.., the only thing I wanted to ask is , why even have a 64 sample setting if its completely useless on a modern machine?

TIA :mates:

3. chippy33

chippy33 Kapellmeister

Im running an i5 system and on 1st 4 bars we are the same, on the last im at about 75% of bar - seems strange

4. redback

redback Newbie

Is this with audio apps closed and wireless and anti-virus disabled?

How do you go with DCP Latency Checker?

5. redback

redback Newbie

You seem to be getting a lot of hard pagefaults OR. Could you go to the 'Processes' tab and sort the columns by hard pagefaults... would be interesting to see what causes them. On the system I'm on now the only processes that seem to cause them are the Microsoft mouse driver and LatencyMon itself.

Obviously you're not running out of RAM. Have you fucked around with the paging file settings in Windows or are they system default?

6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Thanks Bruce... hmm.. well.. u were right.. Antimalware and Utorrent were the offenders..

How much of an impact will that have on Audio latency? What exactly is a pagefault?

DPC results...[​IMG]

Thanks for your help, altho I don't like to disable my MS security essentials, probably couldn't hurt if I go offline while recording.

7. killa

killa Member

You definitely should be going offline while recording.

Even with today's powerful PCs you dont want anything non-music related interrupting your flow. Damn, I dont even want my mum coming in with a cup of tea while I'm producing. *no*

Antivirus and all that shit are notorious for messing with music PCs -- turn it all off!

8. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Well, while I can certainly understand the reasoning.. The system I have setup for my bro-in-law is pretty much exactly like mine.. but no internet, no AV...

and there is no noticable difference.... so... I dunno :dunno:

9. jfd

jfd Newbie

Make an awesome hackintosh out of it, and forget all that bs.
    In last 5 years I was alvays on-line with pt and cubase rig, at the same time office, photoshop, utorrent, browsing, dropbox running at the same time without a glitch!

10. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

Things to keep in mind...

Have a read here for hardpage fault:
    http://209.139.208.98/latencymon_using

PageFaults are when there is insufficient RAM for the operating system to swap a page (block) of program memory (code or data) to be cached in RAM, so it has to flush it with a write operation to the page file on the hard disk AKA "pagefile.sys". Or the OS cannot find a page of a program's memory in RAM to read from because it was previously force flushed to the page, resulting in a read from the hard disk. Both read/write hard disk access are very clow compared to RAM access.

Are the audio apps you use of the sample playback type, requiring great wads or RAM? They can cause a lot of pagefaults if there is insufficient RAM.
    Compared to tiny VST instruments.
    Consider increasing your RAM if so.

uTorrent - no-no when running realtime audio because it is a realtime entity within itself!
    Settings like bandwidth, max number of connections, Advanced-Disk Cache settings etc. all affect the overall load on windows and surrounding apps.
    Multiple BT's with multiple files in each BT can blow system load exponentially!

Like Bruce says - check your windows pagefile settings in relation to your total physical RAM.
    Sorry I forget the formula how to calculate it and set it in windows... Someone else should know.

Don't forget that the OS has to manage multiple processes and their data in the physical RAM available, so sometimes it has to be sent to the side-line of the page file on the hard disk.

^_^

11. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

LOL been doing the multiple apps for years since XP came out, no problems here. for 12 years now.

Check your PM for the needed tool.

Save it and DO NOT GIVE OUT TO ANYONE.

12. zalbadar

zalbadar Ultrasonic

Set up a dead machine system or thats what I was told it's called.

You have a exspendable machine download your stuff
    and
    You have a machine to work on

The machine you download stuff on needs the best anti-viruse ect and the work machine only has the tools you need to do your work. This allows you to have your work done on a machine with maximum resorces.
    The idea was created for collages and buisnesses, in the time when you'd bring work in from home on a floppy disc. You scan the floppy disc on the dead machine before useing it on any of the networks machines. This prevented viruses and allows the collage or company to only need to buy one anti-virus.

It was called a dead machine system because the exspendable machine was likely to be infected and die saveing the network or in your case work machine.

It's sort of the way I work

Just remeber if you do this
    Exspendable machine (old computer, has internet, anti-viruse, utorrent, ect)
    Work machine (good computer, no internet, has softwear for work and no anti-virus)

13. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Thanks for everyones feedback.. cheers!