low priced Mixing headphone - [Solved]

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by metaller, Apr 27, 2018.

?

Which one do you suggest for mixing?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2018.
  1. Audio-Technica ATH-M20x

13.3%
  2. Audio-Technica ATH-M30x

13.3%
  3. Sennheiser HD 201 to 206

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sennheiser HD 300 to 559

20.0%
  5. PreSonus HD9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. AKG K 240 Open

33.3%
  7. Others - specify in thread

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

i tested the sonar version of this plug and i was surprised on how it flattened/fixed a sennheiser hd-25 that i had to mix with once. i assume this should work just as well.

lol i felt i did saw that but thought i was mistaken.. :rofl:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Kool.

3. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

You know I am not trying to be an A hole here but I have to honestly say I have done a lot of research and everyone I see for studio work says Sony MDR-V6 are either number 1 or 2. In the list. Now I know that we all have are differences on everything but I can say I have not ever once said you know I am really disappointed in my MDR-V6. They are very comfortable, light weight, and to me they are not perfect I know but they sound great.
    And even now Amazon has them for $75.00 still a good deal if you ask me.

I do stand corrected on one thing I did get a pair or should I say my second pair for $50 at XMas time but I had to add sales tax to it so the total was $55.00 something. Sorry for the original $50.00 post I forgot to add the sales tax and yes they were brand new.

4. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

You are tempting me to save money for that :invision:
    My answer is the recap of all of your suggestions. I wanted you to see it in the OP :crazy:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. TonyG

TonyG Guest

If you want to save the money that is your choice, however, the 7506 are not in the same class as the Focal. That is similar to one saying " I will save $100k and buy a Corvette instead of a Ferrari." In my opinion, headphones are like microphones in that you should always buy the best you can afford. They are an investment that can last you a lifetime. I purchased my HD 800 back in 2009,that is almost 10 years ago. For personal use I never looked at another model in all these years. The Focals are great studio headphones with excellent sound performance and isolation. We chose them over every other headphones we tried in the $400 range. Now that they are going for $175-$200
    they are a bargain and a wise investment for years to come. I always ask myself one question in this type of situation: If both items were to be priced the same, which one would I chose? My answer is what leads me to the final decision of which one to buy.

7. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Goo
    Good to know you love yours I can say head phones are very personnel items. Below is a link and to me the Sony's are great.
    https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-recording-studio-headphones/

I wanted almost flat head phones and from what I read the Sony's both mdr-V6 and the 7506 are very close to that.

8. TonyG

TonyG Guest

By your own words: what you read. Let us talk about what you listened to. Having spent considerable time with both the 7506 and Focal Spirit Pro, my opinion is that the 7506 lack the smoothness and detail, across the spectrum, of the Focal. Specially in the midrange. As I said, we all can read reviews but at the end of the day we are going to decide using our ears not the reviewers'. Try it before you buy it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I agree totally that can be said for speakers, Amps everything, Reviews are a good starting point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. m9cao

m9cao Producer

at this price range (less $200), ath m50x is best choice for cost performance, and the headphones can change the cable, remember that a good headphone must could replace the cable, the factory cable sounding worse(and the 3.5mm to 6.35mm cable plug!) you could buy a new good cable($100 to $300) for sound quality or backup if the cable broke down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. m9cao

m9cao Producer

the 'hi-res' just cheap stickers on every their product's face, forget the sony's.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  12. m9cao

m9cao Producer

we should know that many producer don't have high quality headphones, they bought those headphones for singer/instrument performer, a mature producer use monitors in mixing/mastering. that's revealed that why some headphones/earbuds called monitoring headphones, those product are especially designed for singer/performer/DJs/or some others at live, not for mixing use.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Not sure that link is adding anything to the discussion. You might be wanting to link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour instead.

Surprised no-one has voted for HD201. anything bad about it?

Depends what you mean by cheap. $20 might be cheap, in which case https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HT161-Headband-Earphone-Headphones/product-reviews/B00IS8T16U might do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Then SuperLux HD 681 (= PreSonus HD7). The HD9 are closed.
    I wouldn't bother with Sonarworks too much and take the HD 681B though. They sound similar to AKG's K 240 and not as sharp as the regular HD 681 (this was "corrected" with additional felt in the later EVO version).

[​IMG]

15. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

Thank you for your answer! Well, I do not say that as I think in general Sony is actually really good with or without it. Yeah, Sony have this sticker indeed on a lot of products. I also don't know that much about it, except it tells you to give better sound quality and it have no compression? Personally their hi res headphones compared to other headphones in the same price range doesn't make a big difference for me and I have listened to it through Spotify and Spotify is not bad quality, right? So yeah that's why I was wondering and asked if it's maybe more used for marketing.

Companies are always trying whatever they could do to get more sales even though it maybe might not be better immediately. I'm sure that a sticker like that will help, because it really gets more seductive and most of the time it really push you to find out more about it and let's you think it's 'better'. I know companies also love to advertise about higher frequency spectrums. But like I said there are probably so many aspects to it what makes a headphone good or not for someone that blindly going for these things is probably not a good idea.

I know I have talked about best in one of my previous posts aswell, but honestly I think a headphone will only be the best if it's the same for everyone, but that's actually never the case. And I think that's the same for headphones that people call 'bad' aswell. People always have different preferences, whereby some people will love it and some people will not love it. In that case I think it's great that we have so many options to choose from to really find out which one works the best for yourself. Reviews or suggestions are great, but testing is always the key to success.

16. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

There are more to the 7506 and MDR-V6 than a sticker. You are confusing them with beats.
    If you will do some research you will find that they are in a lot and I mean a lot of studios. They are also almost flat which is what you want when mixing and mastering. Are they perfect no but nothing is perfect except GOD.

17. KidPix

KidPix Producer

18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Your listening tool is basically the most important element for a producer/engineer.
    Nice console, daw controller, pad, keyboards, etc, all of these toys arent as nearly as important as your headphones/monitor speakers.
    Dont cheap out here or you will lose precious time for development, you will get stuck and regress instead of progress.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Altoid

Altoid Newbie

I use them & like them, but they're not flat. [​IMG]

20. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I own the Sony 7506 cans and to be honest, I've never liked them. They have a smeary sound that doesn't fly with me. Whenever I used them for mixing, the results didn't translate to other playback scenarios.
    My HD280 Pro deliver, but you have to get use to them. They are mid range forward, and less bassy than other headphones, but I've gotten better mixing results with them. I had a pair of Shure SRH840. I loved them. I was really happy with the sound, and used them often, until I started playing back mixes in other systems, and the sound was awfully skewed. I was so disappointed that I sold them right away. Plus, they are fragile.
    I get more trustworthy results from my AKG K240 Studio and M-Audio Studiophile Q40. The difference being the the M-Audio cans are a lot heavier on the bass. I use both to make contrasts. Now please, take my words with a pinch of salt, as each person's head and taste with headphones will vary.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List