low priced Mixing headphone - [Solved]

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by metaller, Apr 27, 2018.

?

Which one do you suggest for mixing?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2018.
  1. Audio-Technica ATH-M20x

13.3%
  2. Audio-Technica ATH-M30x

13.3%
  3. Sennheiser HD 201 to 206

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sennheiser HD 300 to 559

20.0%
  5. PreSonus HD9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. AKG K 240 Open

33.3%
  7. Others - specify in thread

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Focal Spirit Pro for less than $200 is one hell of a deal. I am have not met one person yet that tried them and did not like them. We have to pairs of them and are currently considering getting 2 more at that price.

Attached Files:

2. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

3. For the past 10 years have been enjoying Audio Technica ath m50x exclusively for tracking or for only a quick reference mix. I can't recommend headphones to mix with, but if this was the only option would opt for only the open backed variety as usually at approximately the same price point have better articulation of transients as well as being more comfortable after wearing them for hours. The sound is...well...more open generally and notes to me are more defined and differentiated. My issues with any headphone is that reverb tails tend to disappear in cans and also it is like having speakers unrealistically at the sides of your ears, the soundstage strange and unrealistic. Though, the more you use any monitoring device and discover how they translate to pushing air in a real space, the more proficient your mixes can become.

Sorry, the last experience I have with open backed were the AKG 240's like 20 years ago. I liked using those.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Again I said almost not 100 % flat.

5. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I think of the Sony MDR7506 as like the Shure SM57/58 when it comes to studio use.
    They are a "known quantity" in durability and general acceptance by engineers and performers.
    It makes it easier but it is not always the best.
    They know they won't break easy and that's important when they are so used/abused.
    BUT for a single user, the other stuff being pretty equal, comfort stands out as a factor!
    I've used the 7506 since 1994 so if your head and ears are shaped just like mine, you will be happy!

6. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

I wanted you guys to know that I finally went with Sennheiser HD 280 PRO :grooves:

After some research, I found that it is one of the best headphones for 100$ range, and It is also closed back, so can be used for music listening in public!

https://gadgetspage.com/best-studio-headphones/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  7. If you look at the range of options in your original poll, it isn't actually possible to vote for these headphones.

I use a twenty year old pair of closed back Sennheisers which cost an arm and a leg and are no longer in production.

What matters most is I know them like an old pair of jeans.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List