Low Price Range Audio Interface

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Retrolize77, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

I need 2 know why (teach me please!) i need an audiointerface while working itb without the need for any in/out operations, strictly all done with and into the daw.
    What does it do, the interface part? And what is a cheap but better than no interface one you could recommend. Should work fine with an imac. Thx in advc :thumbsup:

3. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Sorry to talk abour RME again,but with these inrerface and their quite perfect drivers,will improve the performances of your computer.
    At least on Windows.When I switched from a M-Audio audio interface to a RME Babyface my computer could handle 2x or 3 times more plugin intances.And the cpu load was ultra stable,no comparison with my old interface.And although it's still not the best converters,the audio quality/clarity/stereo separation was far better.Just my 1 cent.Without exaggerating anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

If you do not have outboard stuff you want an DAC for your monitors.

Just compare them and chose the one within your price-range.
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/

You can also search for the tests this guy made. Very detailed.

The Oktoresearch is 1k. Pretty cheap for the performance.

5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

how many inputs and outputs?
    with MacOS, if you need just stereo output, you might wanna get something like Radial Engineering USB-Pro which is a class-compliant (no drivers required) USB interface, with some basic DI box capabilities (ground lift to prevent monitor hum, output gain control..)
    [​IMG]

• List
  6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I could say it in my own words but he did a pretty good job and covered even more aspects.
    I can highly recommend the whole vid, but one aspect of what an interface is doing starts at 8:17

Other than that it has DAC for your monitors and headphones.
    I could swear I could hear a difference when I switched from Focusrite Saffire 6 to RME Babyface.

Unless you're working with Win10 the Focusrite Scarlett series is a good deal.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

Check out PreSonus. There site has a lot of information, and reviews can be easily found. :yes:

• List
  8. Giggity

Giggity Platinum Record

As others have suggested, RME is outstanding, even if you could afford a used one. If you're looking into used Audio Interfaces, look into Universal Audio ones, you could get decent used ones for the low- to medium-end product line. Also, check out MOTU Track 16.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

I really can recommend the Zoom UAC-2. Have it here and it's really nice for its price.
    It's also one of the few using USB 3.0, which sets the latency almost to zero.

[​IMG]

10. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

We are twins with different parents.

You can't go wrong with an RME.

11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Totally. My first interface was a Mackie Onyx Blackjack. Then I got an Audient iD4 which was noticeably more detailed. Then an Apollo twin, which was even better.

Conversion makes more of a difference than I would have believed. Not a huge difference. Not anything I’d probably be able to hear without good speakers and a treated room, but not nearly as invisible as I expected

12. recycle

recycle Guest

When you buy an audio interface in general you hope to use it for at least 5/6 years before the next upgrade. Do you already foresee that in the next 6 years you will never need to record audio? I believe you're limiting yourself, you never know what can happen in the future.
    My advice: buy a 2in 2out interface that can support your evolution as a musician and also the evolution of technology.
    Well-known brands for low-price and decent performance interfaces: Focusrite, PreSonus, Behringer, Steinberg
    $160 is a realistic price to pay for having a product that is worthwhile

13. NeverenoghFun

NeverenoghFun Platinum Record

I personally use a Berhinger U-Phoria and have nothing bad to say about it.
    for the same ammount of in's and outs with lets say a focusrite id be looking at close to 400 bucks"
    The berhinger was 140.

from what ive heard over the years... all interfaces are pretty much the same untill you get into the big boys.
    Apogee, UAD, etc

Currently you can get a Single in Berhinger U-Phoria for $58 bucks.
    The "Midas Pre's" are pretty transparent, cant telling much difference then from a focusrite.

$58 on interface then what ever you spend on mic.. Now double that and put that into a Pre-Amp.. you will shine