Low latency glitches although perfect conditions

Discussion in 'PC' started by bruno69, Jan 20, 2020.

1. bruno69

bruno69 Newbie

Here was my approx setup:
    Laptop: ASUS bought last year for 600€ with 8GB of ram
    [​IMG]
    Looks like this
    DAW: Reaper
    VST: pianoteq (I mean it's 15MB)
    Audio interface: behringer uphoria 2x2
    CPU & RAM usage: about 50% give or take.

I'm using the official driver.

Why does the sound glitch? You know what I mean. It makes those noises.

I tried shutting off the energy saving mode etc. I did everything.

The only way it works is using fast mode but not super fast (meant in latency).

Would buying 16GB of ram solve this problem or is it my €40 soundcard? Would getting a 160€ Scarlett 2x2 make any difference at all?

3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

What is your current buffer setting? A lot of background processes can make glitches depending on the machine. Disable Bluetooth and wifi, go through your running process and disable stuff that's not critical. Actually, just Google an ebook called "Glitch Free" by the guy who makes Cantabile software. That guide will almost certainly fix whatever is up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

It is your CPU (NOT ram, so don't buy ram) or software+hardware problem/incompatibility, or bad drivers.
    If nothing else works and you have to buy a new interface, check this one https://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_babyface_pro_fs.htm

5. El digital

El digital Ultrasonic

The audio interface will make a huge difference. Uphoria and Scarlett preamps are really decent but the drivers are really bad for realtime processing or vsti playing. If you have a chance to try an RME babyface, go for it !

6. Caldera

Caldera Producer

No the interface is not the prob!!

Settings in the BIOS and your graphics card are the main cause of audio glitches/dropouts aso. If you are not playing games disable ALL 3D drivers in the settings app from your card. In the BIOS disable ALL C-states of your processor. Your CPU becomes a little warmer but that no prob. Be sure to disable all power savings in the Windows Energy app. Select the high performance power setting. This should solve your problem with the glitches. If the glitches are gone you may enable some C-states in the BIOS. Just trial and error dude. The only way that leads to smooth audio performance, believe me!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

Great tip, immediately have! Apparently free straight from Cantabile website. :guru:

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Don't start any apps and let Latencymon run for 10 minutes then post a screenshot of the drivers section. By the way 8Gb of ram is too little for Windows 10.
    Two things you should do right away:
    1. Download and run Intel Driver & Support Assistant (update every driver it says)
    2. Set power plan to: High Performance (Maybe you have to have the power cable connected to the wall)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  10. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

problems : windows 10 , behringer crap

soultion : win 8.1 , presonus itwo

11. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Behringer is fine. It's a good little interface, I have one as a backup. Good latency, all things considered. It's WAY more than enough to run Pianoteq, for heck's sake. This problem should not require more $$ thrown at it; not on this level. Down the road, sure, bump the RAM and the interface. But this should be solvable given what the o/p is currently trying to do.

As for rolling back Win10... agreed, but again it should be tweakable fr the given conditions. I run Win10Pro with no issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I would downgrade to version 3.29.0.
    There you get greater insight because you get 2 selectors,
    1 for USB streaming buffer size and one for asio buffer size.

Instead of calling it a bad interface I would rather call it bleeding edge (aka the user is a beta tester),
    the driver updates are obviously headed in the wrong direction.
    The next mistake I fear they will make is instead of giving us both selector knobs back,
    is that they only delete the super-fast modus, for cases like yours where it is confusing the user

My best guess for your case is that USB streaming buffer size on the lowest option is glitching,
    It is too small and the data runs out before it gets a refill. for what it's worth,
    I think with some tweaking on a full-blown desktop.
    With the help of latencymon, It would be actually possible to run in the fastest mode.

On a laptop not so much, the same goes for OEM computers. there is just not so much to tweak on those machines, and especially laptops get quirky when it comes too thermal throttling

But to get to my main point. With the downgraded driver, at low latency (instead of minimum)
    and 128 asio buffer size(instead 64 it reports 3ms of latency at 48000hz. Which is pretty decent in my books (low enough for percussionists), and I highly doubt a scarlett would do better.
    doesn't sound go roughly 0,34 meter a millisecond? so maybe getting closer to your speakers or wearing headphones might help a bit more.

Ps. For anyone who wants to know, users with uphoria devices who like to stream (obs and the likes) might want to upgrade to the latest driver since there is a known bug with input assignment (at least on the 404) it does work in games tho.

psps. As far as I know, (it has been some years I was interested in this stuff) RME is one of the few companies that manufacture their own a/d d/a converters. most other companies, all use some iteration from very common chip(s).
    Behringer actually uses 1 cirrus logic chip on all its Uphoria devices, the spare pins for more ins and outs are there ready to be never used.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List