low CPU reverb

Discussion in 'Software' started by tun, Feb 26, 2020.

1. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

[​IMG]
    On the left you can see the source, on the right Breverb's response.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  2. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

that is funny though.
    can not notice anything strange. could be an old cubase issue?

3. tun

tun Rock Star

ive never noticed anything like that on cubase 5 and i have used it for many years

4. dtmd

dtmd Platinum Record

Depends on usage. Hall, room, plate, early and special instance simultaneously, with equalizing, panning, widening or narrowing, delaying... (time of the convolution) each instance, plus mod, delay, master drive, comp and eq... naturally can produce hit on cpu. Even when used excessively, cpu is cycling around 10-15%. With "responsible", lighter settings, up to 10% seems fairly reasonable. One not mentioned and may be worth mentioning, Hofa IQ Reverb, never exceeds 5ish%.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. tun

tun Rock Star

i got it down to 08 (whatever that means in studio one. %? ) when turning everything off and using a single impulse source.
    breverb usually sits around 01-02.

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

No, this was caused solely by Breverb. And it wasn't a routing issue either, with other reverbs this didn't happen.

7. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

probably a bug. try the newer version.

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Oh, I just found an old screenshot of v2.1.8 - same problem.

9. tun

tun Rock Star

damn man, i am going to have to do some experiments and see whats going on. i wont even get time for a few days either and its going to play on my mind hahaha

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Rematrix is a beast, it's the new Overloud's flagship reverb. You can't expect it to have comparable CPU usage to Breverb because it can do way more things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. dtmd

dtmd Platinum Record

Yes %. But, droput protection (and process precision) in St1 plays some ("what kind of sorcery is this") role of cpu usage and (task manager can sing completely different song) report. Here, when dropout maxed, usage drops slightly. Allegedly. Like, for example, enabled or disabled anticipative fx processing, thread priority... in reaper (%) will produce difference. And that's exactly why arbitrary numbers (tables, graphs, %... per user or system) doesn't mean shit.

Percentage of cpu hit (or load as ms and jitter in Bitwig, or ? in Fls, or...) on i7 9900k, or i5 4690k, or ryzen 5 3600, or ryzen 9 3900x, or.... will be different, right? Operating system background tasks and system in whole optimised for audio or not, daw(s) correctly optimised or not, single and multicore cpu capabitlities......

One - who enjoys playing in the box, especially - for his own amusement and enjoyment primarily, should firstly invest some $£€¥ on/in the box? Optimise it (that takes "trial and error" time) and then, after s/he's comfortable (actually, never) choose virtual instruments and fx processors (and even then, freezing, printing varying takes... as part of "contented" workflow), not how hard (1.6 VS 3.8 % "importance") they hit cpu or/and system, but rather what (level of "sound greatness" satisfies s/he's (ocd) obsessions and compulsions) sound is s/he after? Enough pointless 'ranting'.

This little fucker (try before use/buy), despite almost no ("advanced user") options at all, muddy lo-hi filters, ringy ("lushy") tail..... blends surprisingly well with all kinds of material. Leaves cpu in yawning state of restfulness. He's older sister/brother perhaps? M30/40 (not "cpu intensive" VSS3) prerhaps? Verberate? LX480?......

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. tun

tun Rock Star

good points, and thanks for the links

13. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Das ist kein Problem. Das ist, wie sich bestimmte Frequenzen, unter bestimmten Umständen, in bestimmten Räumen verhalten.
    Es kommt hier primär auf den Frequenzgehalt des Signals an. Ein Horn das im Orchester was rechts sitzt, klingt nicht immer nur Rechts, weil es natürlich erstens, was weiter weg sitzt, sodass sich der Winkel zum Ohr verringert und sich wie gesagt, verschiedene Frequenzen im Raum verschieden Verhalten. Du kannst das mit jeder Halle aus Altiverb probieren. Kein Signal wird mehr nur aus der Richtung kommen, wo man es ursprünglich hin gestellt hat.
    Im Bild sieht man in Altiverb bei den Pegelmessern links, links das Eingangs- und rechts das Ausgangssignal.
    upload_2020-3-1_10-56-3.png

Das ist auch der Grund, warum ich mal gesagt habe, dass es rein klanglich nicht natürlich klingt, wenn ein Bass in Mono steht. Nicht Mono heißt nicht unmittelbar nicht in der Mitte, sondern einfach erstmal nur Stereo. :yes:
    Und hier auch gleich die Erklärung für den Satz damals, als um den Bass in Mono ging "Ich werde darüber nicht mit diskutieren". Weil es hier um Grundlagen der Akustik geht. Und diese sind seit dem 16. Jahrhundert objektiviert.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Eos 1 or 2
    Toraverb 1 or 2
    Pro-R (yes)
    Lexicon Lex/LXP reverb plugs (PCM)
    smartelectronix Ambience Reverb
    Melda reverb plugs
    TAL-Reverb-4
    u-he zRev
    Everything Valhalla
    RV7000

These take more CPU but good if you want that weirdness:
    2C-Audio Aether or Breeze
    Eventide Blackhole
    Valley Audio Plateau - VCVRack
    LiquidSonics Reverberate 1 or 2
    Reaktor Air Verb / SpaceMaster

I know of more Reaktor reverbs if you're interested.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

I beg to differ, this was a significant misbehaviour of Breverb's.

Of course a reverb 'spoils' the stereo image but the tendency should remain.

Well, that's interesting because I came to different results. On the left side you see a (full frequency) drum loop panned to 60%R and on the right Altiverb's response (def IR Teldec). As you can see, the pan-tendency is clearly maintained

[​IMG]

16. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Yes, it depends on the instrument and the room.
    Here, a kick panned right and then left and the two responses (Valhalla Room).
    And as you saw already in the first picture the tendency does not always remain. It may remain on one note but may not on the other one. For non pitched percussive instruments however there should be a tendency yes, because it's always the same tone. What is the reason why I always show which instrument I've used because this is important. :bleh:
    All I wanted to say is that this is not an issue of the reverb plugin because this is how acoustic works.

Attached Files:

17. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

When I compared Breverb v1 and v2 to other reverbs, which was years ago, I could in fact identify Breverb as the cause. You may like to install and compare it yourself.
    The problem is not the acoustic itself, but the way the signals are routed and/or processed. Mono in -> mono out, mono in -> stereo out, stereo in -> (dual) mono out, or stereo in -> stereo out.
    And Breverb clearly either ignored the stereo in information or processed it (dual) mono out with some pan modulation.
    So, selber :bleh:. [​IMG]

18. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

no such problem here with breverb2. just checked. on my source i get the exact same LR information on the stereo meter.
    no need to look at the meters, it should immediately sound disproportional, but meters confirm everything is alright.

19. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Great, so they've fixed the issue.

20. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

There's already a lot of stuff in here, but I'll still feed in:

AudioDamage ADVerb and EOS are good for this sort of thing, then Kjaerhus Reverb (if you can find it) is a solid performer, and lastly if you can use Logic then AVerb.

Not all of these are good sounding reverbs as such but as an insert for fuckery they're perfect in my opinion. Get a drum break going, insert a rough reverb and then gate + compress and you've got something else.

Good luck anyways, let us know how it goes!