loudness on different online platforms

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by fraifikmushi, Jun 14, 2016.

1. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Ahoy ahoy,

I'm currently preparing some mixes for online platforms and to get the most of it I searched for the various loudness/normalization requirements of the different platforms.

I could not find any data regarding soundcloud - although I've read they don't apply any loudness normalization. I find that hard to believe, does somebody have further knowledge on this?

Beatport however does apply loudness normalization, but I could not find specifics for Beatport either. Anyone knows anything?

However, I did stumble upon this infographic which I found really helpful. Maybe it's of use for some of you:

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  3. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Thanks for this, it may clearify some points. :like:

:mates:

4. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

from using just my ears, I can gaurantee soundcloud doesnt use loudness normalization, but definately uses heavy compression.

Beatport definately uses loudness normalization as well as compression from how mooshed up the preview tracks sound, and youtube definately uses loudness normalization.

I know this because I've tested my .wavs many times listening to the originals and hearing the yt, beatport and soundcloud versions...

But of course this is just my ears and I have no factual statistics or clear proof. I'd like to think my ears are sexy though ;D

5. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Thanx for that spec. Usefull!

6. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Imo Soundcloud is just horible, are they deaf or something?

7. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

no they are just trying to save download time...speed is more important than quality on the internet. They are fully aware of their compression alogorithms.

8. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I do remember reading something when I started my Soundcloud account, that if a track is too hot, the converters can't convert it and it gets rejected at the conversion stage. Dunno how true that is though. I always have the peaks of my tracks limited at -0.3, and since I've been using hardware, I do very little compression.

9. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Excellent. Was just looking at this. Nice to see it all put together like that.

10. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List