Loops & Construction Kits Part II

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Voo, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Voo

Voo Platinum Record

Introducing myself.
    Im a novice at music making and more of a hobbyist. Ive been playing guitar, bass and keyboards and farting around for like 25 years now. Its my therapy.

Occasionally I will grab one of these construction or loop kits, usually guitar or something more old school blues or rock oriented.

A big question is how are these loops usable? To my ears these loops sound so flat and lifeless. I can understand using these for some sort of inspiration and ideas but are they usable?
    Stacking these against a real guitar or a great synth like omnisphere or other great vsts these wav files sound so sterile.

Any direction in what you use to make them sound better would be much appreciated. I have tried plugs that are "aural exciters" but still the fidelity and warmness is lacking.

Don't hit me too hard, Im just asking for some help.

Voo

3. smartlad

smartlad Member

The samples you talk about could be dry and have no fx on them. If your compering them to patches from omnisphere then chances are they are drenched in things like reverb, delay, distortion, chorus etc..

Also if its from a construction kit it might already be processed to fit into the mix with the rest of the kit :dunno:

4. zspin.stomp.shuffle

zspin.stomp.shuffle Newbie

ok well if you listen to a guitar loop u got to make sure it's really what u want. that's the loop thing, key, tempo, pitch, length and if it don't fit don't damn use. loops r quick and that's their selling point most commercial music consists of loops. u can do much more on say omnisphere or kotakt but yes it takes longer.

5. rimshooter123

rimshooter123 Noisemaker

i like it to play with loops and samples. mostly things like short guitar, slap bass, horns, rhodes or organ phrases, that i could't make better with any virtual instrument.
    generally it takes a long processing time to make them really fit into the musical content, but the effect can be considerably.

i also like to use and deconstruct some drum and processed percussion loops, noise loops, fx and textural loops. also oneshot textures and fx for transitions and breakdowns etc.

for lead synths or basslines i feel more comfortable and flexible using a VSTi. I can decide for my own when which parameter is automated. but I think synth or bass loops can be a good inspiration source.

i'm a friend of the sony media libraries. not very handy cause the files are poorly labeled, but the sounds are mostly quite inspriring to me.

6. remix

remix Platinum Record

it all depends on which kits you use...

some companies are terrible and some are fantastic...

most rock type ones are crap though purely coz they seem to be made by electronic producers?

7. rimshooter123

rimshooter123 Noisemaker

yeah, that's true! very useless products out there..