Looking to upgrade to garbage pail Mac Pro 2013-1019

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Mr. Barry, Oct 22, 2022.

1. Mr. Barry

Mr. Barry Newbie

Hi there,

I currently have a mid-2010 Mac Pro desktop computer.
    It's pretty old, where I can't even upgrade to the latest Mac OSX, or even the latest Logic Pro X version, etc.
    I don't have $4k+ for the new cheese-grater Mac Pros and I don't want a laptop, I'm just a bedroom music producer on a budget, so I'm thinking of getting a refurbished "garbage pail" Mac 2013-2019.

I have an older Logitech digital speaker system:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Z-55...E4n8_0IqeTAir_L4C5nwZJgF2UvFkxxJyJKw0rsiaX2rg

It's connected by an "optical" connection. Does the Mac 2013 have that kind of connection? Or will I need to get another speaker system? If so, any recommendations? I would like pro speakers, but these Logitech speakers sound pretty good, but they aren't "studio speakers".

For the internal SSD drive, even the 2TB will never be big enough for me, as I have Terabytes of music and video, so I will need to get external harddrives. I currently have an OWC Mercury Elite Pro external with 2 harddrives. Should I stick with that brand? Or are there better brands?

I have a Dell monitor from 2015 -- Dell U2715H.
    It has digital connectivity with DisplayPort, mini DisplayPort, HDMI (MHL), USB 3.0
    I'm assuming it'll be fine on the 2013 Mac?

Anything else I need to be aware of migrating to the 2013 Mac Pro?