Looking To Identify Synthesizer Sound Used In 90s TV Show Theme "My Brother And Me"

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by RonnieSpectrum, Oct 15, 2023.

1. RonnieSpectrum

RonnieSpectrum Noisemaker

I'm currently listening to this song from my childhood, and I find myself curious what synthesizers may have been used to create the theme song to "My Brother and Me." Mostly curious about the main melody 0:00-0:20 then again at 0:39-end. I have a feeling it is an old Korg or Yamaha preset, but I don't have the Korg Collection VST or any Korg keyboards. Anything I'm loading up from my virtual instruments just doesn't sound right. If any synthesizer scholars out there can identify any of the other sound sources for other pieces of this theme, I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Sounds like a cruddy mute trumpet sample mixed with an even cruddier (possibly muted) trombone sample. So, I would suspect a cruddy 12-bit era sampler was used. Could be anything; the mute trumpet is probably pretty easy to come up with on something modern but the weird semi mute trombone might be a little harder; it might have been something that the guy sampled himself, who knows.

4. RonnieSpectrum

RonnieSpectrum Noisemaker

This has been extremely helpful and informative. Thanks so much, Trurl!!!

5. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Try the Korg Triton extreme there are some presets which should fit very well.