Looking for Usb turntable recommendation

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Oysters, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

Having just moved house, I have unearthed my vast vinyl collection.
    And basically as the thread name hints, I am looking for a decent usb turntable to record/sample my records.
    I don't need anything too flash, but I also don't want some weedy belt driven low torque job either.
    Any recommendations based upon hands on use? Thanks!

3. ravejanitor

ravejanitor Noisemaker

Not the Audio Technica AT LP-60. I mean, it works fine for playback and sampling, but if take a whole track you use any "sync" functions on a midi controller, you may find that recorded songs don't sync properly. I have to mess around with the belt's positioning to get a good constant 45rpm. Also the "belt" is literally an elastic band that moves around quite a bit.

I've heard good things about the numark.

4. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

Thanks for your reply. I have seen good reviews for numark usb decks. I have also had good experiences with their products in the past. Think I may pick one up soon!

5. Willum

Willum Rock Star

If you have a normal record deck, you can always connect it up with a Behringer UFO202 U-phono USB Audio Interface. There is also a vst, whose name i cant remember at the moment, that does an riaa curve .
    At least with a proper deck, you know what you are getting, would be way better than a cheap usb deck.

Found it, this should do the trick, seems to be for windows or mac.Best of all it is free. :)

http://www.nullmedium.de/dev/audioplugins/

At the bottom of the page.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  6. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

Unfortunately I don't have any of my old decks anymore :( but with plugins like that getting an old 1200/1210 off eBay is very tempting. Something about those cheap usb decks is setting off alarm bells inside me. Back in my djing days I would never have bought anything that cheap. You get what you pay for eh?

7. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Good luck and best to you with the move. Hope it wasn't too stressful. The best turntables are still the same ones from the analog days. Just get one with a USB. Get a good cartridge. (I'm an Ortofon guy) A lot of people switched from direct drive to belt drive, because it's usually quieter.Top of the line is still Thorens, Teac, etc. A lot of DJs use Numark. If you need a phono pre-amp, the one by ART works fine. https://www.google.com/webhp?source..._th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=best+USB+turntables&tbm=shop this Teac may be out of budget, but it's pretty, and like anything else, you get what you pay for. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_063TN3...48825&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=64103406265&awdv=c Want a turntable that's considered art? Bang and Olufsen.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  8. E.C.R

E.C.R Platinum Record

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

How awesome it would be if there was a USB turntable with usb controls, not only an usb audio interface. You know, like it is with firewire and dv cameras...

10. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Power-wise, it's possible. You don't need more than 2W to spin the turntable, and USB2.0 specs list 2.5W. Though 98% of all ports are 5V/1A+.
    As for the controls, extra driver/software might be required, as USB Audio Class 1 doesn't allow any extra communication.
    But what extra controls beside start/stop, reverse/play and 33/45/78 speed settings would you need?