Looking for this kind of Pop/Reggae Drumkit

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by phenomboy, Jan 15, 2016.

1. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

Hi fam, as i said in the title, i'm looking for a specific kind on drum kit especially the one used in this french pop/reggae song:

Can any of you point me some drum kits of drum plug in that has this sound ? (particularly that snappy snare)

Thanks in advance

3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

That snare should be a "timbali" (you can find it for example in Defected Percussion Shovell).

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

*Timbale

5. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

It's a wrong spelling in the pack then. I somehow knew it's spelled "timbale", but then when I saw it in Shovell's pack labeled as "timbali" I said "maybe I had it wrong the whole time" :)

6. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

Thanks, i'm checking that one out now !

I maybe mistaken but isn't the timbal just used in the fills ? The snare is pretty hard hitting for a timbal. I may be wrong though as i didn't get the pack yet.

7. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Oh, the snappy snares are just... snappy snares. I thought your problem is with the exotic hits :) Layer a snare with a short burst of white noise (also a clap maybe), eq it, slap a transient processor, compress the sh!t out of it, saturate it (you know, the usual package) and you have it. Also, usually there is some ducking going on, when the snare hits (like in dubstep songs) to give it more impact.

8. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

I know but this one has a distinct reggae feel (a subtle ring/resonance) to it that made me think it's from a know drum kit or drum machine

9. richsketchy

richsketchy Noisemaker

For those drums I would tried the Studiolink stuff for kontakt. There are a couple different ones that would work and ezdrummer for the real drum sounds. I hope this could help.

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

As jayxflash have already elegantly said it's more of a dubsteppy "200Hz-boosted-snare-layered-with-whitenoise-into-limiter" type thing. it almost seems to be a dubstep producer making a pop reggae song. :)

11. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Even it's not at all my genre of activity, this track sounds good too my ears. And when a track sounds good chances are the elements are not from kits, but they are carefully made/processed. When it comes to drum kits producers rarely go further than 808/909 drum machines :)