Looking for these 90s house Sounds

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Dama, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Dama

Dama Newbie

SOLVED

The main instrument at 12:45 in the 1st video linked below.

To be completely honest, I'm not dead set on the exact sound, but more sounds similar to this one and other that would have been used in this genre/ era.

90s Deep house, Detroit and New York mostly. I've seen people use some Roland gear and other stuff. I'd love it if there were some VST's out there that had these sounds so I could avoid sampling it straight out of the tracks and create my own melodies from scratch.

I assume a lot of these sounds are organs. Would love to know where they're from.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  3. Dama

Dama Newbie

My last resort would be to sample a One Shot of the chord from this track and control the sample as midi in my daw. but I'd much rather have the actual instrument used to create it.

4. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

Best Answer
    Try Korg M1 VST bruv. Few organs in there. E.Organ etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Hi @Dama and welcome to AS!
    You'll notice at your given timestamp that the organ hit has other harmonics, like a chord.
    All of those type of one hit samples are in sooo many plugins and synths it's funny!
    It would be easier to say which plugins didn't have them in!
    But yeah, the Korg M1 was commonly used, it's true.
    But the thing is, we sampled chords from it.

6. Dama

Dama Newbie

Gorgeous brother thank you. Sounds great.

7. Dama

Dama Newbie

Thank you broski

8. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Like, Maschine has packs with those chord hits in it.
    A lot of new synths, even if they are non-genre as such, also have the chord hits for House.
    Usually one key playing more than one note in the preset IE. a chord. Again, quicker to state ones that don't have it, probably!
    I think those hits are even in most stock daw plugins now! lol. At least was in old EXS24 in Logic, and probably in the new Sampler now.
    All old Akai sample CDs for House had them! So many ways to get them.

But mark my words; that is a chord hit at your timestamp. You'll thank me later for not having to sample minor 9ths from the M1 into your sampler!
    I like the NY stuff like the early Little Louie Vega, Underground Network stuff.
    It used to be my thang, back then!

9. recycle

recycle Guest

this DJset is absolutely good, you re-ignited my passion for Detroit deep sound

If you are looking for that kind of 90's vibe you have to sample the chord from a synth and then play your pattern on sampler with 1 finger: that was the usual workflow. You can hear that these are sampled chords because on the low keys the attack / release of sound is slower, on the higher ones instead it is faster: this does not happen playing chords from a synth, where attack / release is the same on every key (no matter the note)