Looking for studio strings and woodwinds for Kontakt

Discussion in 'Acoustic' started by Futurewine, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Can anyone recommend me any good strings and woodwinds (solos/ensembles) libraries for pop/country/rock/folk music production? Thanks.

3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

You kinda will trip over them, they're so numerous! I'd recd OTB (Orchestral Tools) & Spitfire as being pretty good. OT Berlin Strings &/or Spitfire Symphonic Strings are a good place to start? OTB Woodwinds are prolly best & most comprehensive option, Spitfire's knockoff is a bit lame. Has (OTBW) lovely, playable solo legato stuff, too. But u can dl any of Spitfire's string libs & get good sounds, depending on taste. Embertone do some pretty solo strings, too. Guess it depends on how much SSD / HD space ya got? Also patience!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

I don't think he's looking for orchestral stuff. So spitfire would be a no go

5. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Thanks. OTB is new discovery for me. Really like Embertone solo strings.

6. shomyca

shomyca Producer

You ll find OT Berlin libraries pretty versatile, those should serve you well. If you are into solo strings, check also spitfire sacconi quartet, cinestrings solo, emotional cello, chris hein solo strings. Also maybe chris hein woodwinds and certenly embertone herring clarinet. For better playability check sample modeling wodwinds.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  7. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

I'd say go with broadway big band, Project Sam's swing, big fish audio country folk, Kirk Hunter Strings, even kontakt 5 factory library has a few decent sounds that will work with what you're trying to make.

8. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

He said pop/country/rock/folk music...
    I suggest him to stay away from the orchestral stuff unless he is doing some kind of orchestral rnb or whatever music can use such wet sounds.
    I think that samplemodeling or wallander is the best option for playable woodwinds.
    For strings - LASS are still the best, if you need dry sound or actually realistic chords, because of the divisi (triads and extended chords that don't actually suck with a virtual instrument!!!)
    Orange Tree samples - Passion Flute and Bela D's Retro flute are also cool.
    Friedlander violin or Chris Hein's violin are very cool too.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Passion Flute is very buggy & latchy, be warned; sounds good & has nice overblown fx tho. I'm not sure that you can necessarily discount things because they're in the "wrong genre", wtf that is. In other news, u can get pretty dry if you just use close mics, also, on all of the libs. Esp OT. LASS is ok. Not rly suited for pop/rock/folk/country/orchestral tho. >___>

10. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Many thanks to everyone :wink: I went through all samples from recommendation. I found that Embertone strings really fits in.

Really like Sample Modeling woodwinds but I found that it relies very much on CC automation for articulations. I hope to find one that using simple keyswitches and.. doesn't sound like orchestral symphony but tailored for studio/band productions..

Thanks!

11. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Get Breath Controller and SM Woodwinds. You won't be disappointed! :winker:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

For strings and music type you listed, I would start first with Native Instruments - Session strings ensemble. With SS bundle you will get, if I remember well, combination of classical strings and pop music type of strings.
    Then you should incorporate some passages in your arrangements and see if will pass.
    Another pop/rock strings for exploration would be Kirk Hunter Spotlight strings, also you have Pop Rock Strings from same developer.
    Everything is depending on your arrangements really. Maybe for some songs Spitfire strings from Albion One will fit - who knows.