Looking for some input into new templates

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Bunford, May 4, 2017.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Having recently migrated over from Ableton to Studio One, I am now looking to create some templates. I mainly make techno/house when making electronic stuff and something I am doing more and more is film score type music, morphing huge orchestras with synths etc for a hybrid sound.

Anyway, I am just looking for ideas and a bit of a refresh in what I use. I usually set up bus groups for each instrument 'type' and then run them all into my master out. Ideally I would have a final mix bus running to vintage outboard gear and then back into my master out but that ain't gonna happen any time soon unless I win the lottery!

I'm just looking for some input and insight into what chains people use or recommend for using on different bus groups (from synth basses to violins) and your master channel to see if there is any inspiration to help me refresh my templates. Would also be good if you guys go beyond just saying something like "compressors, EQ and then limiter on master" by maybe detailing something like "1176 type compressor, then a Pultec type EQ and then Pro-L" as an example.

Cheers in advance for any ideas and inspiration you guys throw at me!

3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

As Pink Floyd once said...
    [​IMG]

4. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

i haven foud any temps yet but i recently made the same move from live to studio one..welcome :) will post if i find anything

5. spencer26

spencer26 Platinum Record

I have built a mixing template over the years. It has 300 tracks without any actual audio tracks. I am using a Mac with a PC slaved for my Mastering and Reverbs. I have all the Reverbs and FX setup so I can use whatever comes into my head without making changes. If I try a reverb and it does not sound right I then select a different one. This makes things very fast. But you need a lot of CPU. I have a 12 core macPro with 32 gig of ram. So start with a simple template of your own and just keep adding to it. Andrew Scheps has some template videos on youtube. Also look at Dave Pensado template ideas.

I like to have a full mastering section working before I start a mix and mix into the mastering. This is not for everybody but it works for me. I build the production with very little processing then when completed I import this into my template making sure my mastering section does not destroy the production. We can now import in studio one 4.
    Spencer

6. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I'm prolly the wrong person to ask or advise, rly, cos ima shy away from using any compression, and I guess the best advice is for you to do the same if you want a "realer" orchestral sound. Adapt ur sound so dynamics are controlled by (the full gamut) of ur playing, wherever possible. It's defo not the Zimmer way, but guy's just a hack. I just use stock eq if any, I mean wtf difference does it (EQ brand) rly even make? :D

I kinda agree w/ spencer in that verb is the main thing to set up so you can kinda plug in ur instruments into a space, esp when writing orchestral stuff. It's just a case of choosing the right space. I'd recommend using Altiverb, Lexicon & Exponential Audio stuff; also use much less reverb than you are atm! (I'm guessing =) It can get a bit complicated, still, but it makes sketching things much quicker & cohesive.