Looking for palm muted rhythm guitar

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by LordFunky, Apr 24, 2017.

1. LordFunky

LordFunky Ultrasonic

Hi all,

I'm looking for some good palm muted funky rhythm guitar samples ?
    Any advices or ideas ? (kontakt instruments or wav loops)

no metal, thanks.

example :

3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Funky guitar rarely uses palm muting.
    If you find a Kontakt version, make sure to throw in 'fretting hand muted pick noise' in between actual notes.

4. Sonny Crockett

Sonny Crockett Kapellmeister

There are couple libraries around here to either make that strumming or simply play muted notes, I can't recall which ones but take a look at Pettinhouse and Indiginus libraries related to this.
    There's also some Virtual Guitarrist libraries that are pretty cool but don't remember if there is palm pute versions.
    Hope it helps.

5. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Yeah kinda agree with dragonhill in that funk guitar is more patterned\unpatterned syncopation than palm muting and mostly dependent on pressure applied to the strings via the actual fretting hand.
    Right hand Strumming pressure by rolling the palm etc is just more to break up the rhythmical structure itself to sound more disjointed.
    Funk guitarists will often use a compressor pedal to clean up the sound & bring volume in line and give sustain so whatever you use is important to build a good chain.
    Compressor in theory comes first in your pedal chain after Wah. Wah pedal also used a lot in funk either on without manipulation as a filter or with manipulation to accentuate rhythm itself.
    If your going with Kontakt library say then some may have these effects already sampled in of course but there nothing wrong with experimenting or building a chain. Wah & compressor normally sit directly in front of the amp rather than the FX loop of the amp itself.
    However that said every guitarist has there own version of a chain that works for them in general.
    Personally speaking, I don't like ANY kontakt libraries for guitar but a little biased in favour of the instrument itself :yes:
    Many don't sound very realistic and can't match the incredibly detailed rhythmical aspects of the right\left hand in combination which essential to the technique. The best of the not that great lol already been mentioned as in in Scarbee, Pettinhouse, Orange Tree samples.
    Outside Kontakt Rob Papen RG\RGmuted VST'i an possibly option to try and sounds pretty decent if the correct FX are used. One of them is free I think and it ok.
    You'll probably get the most realistic results using samples etc as of course they have all the technique that essential built in lol :yes:
    Downside is they of course not very flexible and your really limited to what you can achieve.
    Is a pretty hard one to find real quality stuff for to be honest outside playing the instrument itself :yes:
    Best luck :) :bow: