Looking for Level matching Plugin

Discussion in 'Software' started by BenniTheBlockbuster, Jan 16, 2023.

1. BenniTheBlockbuster

BenniTheBlockbuster Producer

Hi , I am looking for a plugin which I can load as last insert in my group channels , this plugin should make the volume of the tracks always the same , no matter what I load before this plugin in my effect chain .

As an explanation
    - eq
    - comp
    -dess
    -eq
    -saturation
    -
    -
    - (plugin which I am looking for)

Is there something like this ?

Kind regards Benni

3. Digital Crush

Digital Crush Member

Try Gain match plugin by LetiMix

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. def12

def12 Kapellmeister

besides Gainmatch there is also TheNormalizer by Hornet (80% off at the moment, which makes 2€)
    or ABLM2 by TBproaudio

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

With the way you have your effects chain built, the most common plugin to find instantiated there is either a Limiter or a Multi-Band Limiter.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. creatureofthenight

creatureofthenight Ultrasonic

If you happen to use Ableton, there is a miraculous plugin called Volume Buddy. You stick is at the end of your chain and no matter what plugins you put in before it, the volume always stays the same. No need to use two instances of the plugin, just one at the end of your chain. I wish it existed in VST form, but for now its just a Max for Live device.

https://www.noirlabs.co/products/volumebuddy
    Here's a video of a guy reviewing it-

GainMatch is the only other option I can think of in VST form. I swear there's another one from ADPTR or something (Plugin Alliance), but maybe I'm just misremembering.

Edit- I just want to point out one thing. Using these plugins can be a bit misleading sometimes. While you'll get a signal matched to your original volume, its easy to destroy your audio in between without realizing it. Say you add a saturator, eq, and limiter. You're not paying attention to gain levels between plugins and you accidentally heavily clipped your signal on the saturator, clipped it even more in the eq, and then limited a clipped signal, all before that clipped badly distorted signal is now brought back down in volume to match the level it went in. You really have to make sure you're still properly setting levels between plugins, or you're just going to get a waveform with its head cut off, matched to the original volume.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  7. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I think this too. I have gotten annoyed a few times, forgetting that I had a maximizer on the channel, both in tone and with dynamics.
    It seems the OP is looking for something to finely control the level, and at least a little dynamic reduction will be involved.

I like to use a brute force maximizer as a tool for getting things roughly set up on individual channels while I am still trying sounds, so i do not miss something good because it seemed too soft or loud. I like both Waves 'MV2' & Thomas Mundt 'Loudmax' because the controls are easy.
    But once a channel gets set up (instrument / patch / basic effect are set) I start bypassing the maximizers and get to adjusting the elements.

I have done the same thing on busses when first setting them up, too, especially when experimenting with orchestral stuff where there are so many parts. Of course as things are added in, it begins to sound like a squashed mess and at that point it's time to bypass the "squasher".

8. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

In Ableton Live with free Volume Compensator you may put required number dbfs of your chain or individual plugin inside chain on track and it keep it.

9. muse2love

muse2love Producer