Looking for Impulse Responses of Lexicon Hardware or other cool stuff

Discussion in 'samples' started by hexer1337, Mar 10, 2021.

1. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. hexer1337

hexer1337 Member

@Hazen i have another question. is there a way to tell if a IR is recorded from a pro or a noob? I have much fun playing around with all the stuff from the liinks and modulation behind it

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

Don't bother with Hazen. Use whatever sounds good to you. I love IRs of classic reverbs even if they're not the most accurate, and enjoy using them a lot more than the current stuff by Exponential. "Primitive" algorithms can sound better than complicated ones. There's a pinned thread on KVR that has a lot of free impulse responses, you can find a lot of gems online.

4. hexer1337

hexer1337 Member

@PopstarKiller What are your favourites? I found some concrete tunnel stuff that sounds very cool!

5. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Thanks for the advice! You might want to go back to page 1 to realize that I already posted a link to a list, which is actually more up to date than the mostly obsolete KVR thread (80% dead links there). The list I linked includes IR sets of hardware reverbs.

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

that github list WTF, that enough for 4-5 FREE packs, which i could do, but this will maybe take a lot of time.

I need to find a good IR-Reverb, which can load enough formats, transfering should work with audacity, i think i have done this already with the SIR IR's from Logic 9 - Suggestion for a good COnvo/IR plugin? (no useability, but fast loading?)

I tried a google two i found one big package - worth 550MB, i will see if can find the link for that one again.
    So google search didnt turn up something good either for me.

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

8. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

9. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

In classic hardware it's the 480, SPX90, VS87, Alesis stuff, Sony DPS-V77, EMU, and r100. For plates and springs, there's Studio Nord free stuff which is incredible, and KineticSoundPrism Virtualworld Impulse Collection.
    In real world spaces I'm particularly fond of the Echo Thief Impulse Response Library, and Professor Angelo Farina's spaces from his research into IRs. Operairlib might also interest you.

Here's a tip about real spaces, the attack on them can sound bad and affect the source too much. In SIR2, there's an option to shape the envelope of the IR, and I like to set a fade in of about 5-15ms. This makes real spaces sound much more like "reverb". Sometimes I also EQ the IRs quite heavily to avoid resonances and muddy areas.

Altiverb, Melda's Convolution plugin and of course Slate Verbsuite have a lot of good IRs as well.
    I collected all this stuff over many years so you probably don't want to try it all in one go...

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

waves still has their 4.8gb free pack online https://www.waves.com/downloads/ir-convolution-reverb-library but you do have to login. (if not linked above already). and IR Convolution Reverb Sweep File for Self-Capture.

worth using? I really don't have the resources for most convolution "just to check it out". free anyway

11. hexer1337

hexer1337 Member

Wow thank you all! That now is a bit overwhelming! Sadly the KineticSoundPrism Virtualworld Impulse Collection is down on sister site. I check out the waves stuff today and see iff its cool or crap. Also nice tip with the attack @PopstarKiller ableton hybrid reverb luckily got an attack option

12. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I remember converting these for use with Space Designer which was a pain in the ass. Not the conversion into Logics IR format, but rather getting the presets to work correctly so that the IRs would load. Super inconvinient how Logic pro handles that. The way it works it feels like they abondoned the whole create-your-own-IR-Presets-for-Space-Deisgner in 1999 and never looked back.

13. hexer1337

hexer1337 Member

The waves stuff are some annoying file - .wir ... thank you waves! Your only good plugin is rvox anyway..

14. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Hey, I just saw this special offer for the Exponential Audio reverbs. No affiliation, but R2 / R4 (updated R2) might be worth a shot, if you are into Lex sound. The developer is the same guy who coded Lexicon PCM, so this can be considered a more refined version!

There are plenty of reviews and demo videos on the web and demo version should be available too.

https://rekkerd.org/save-on-exponential-audios-nimbus-r2-stereo-and-r4-reverbs/

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Anyone here wants to try out the beta of a new plate reverb plugin? PM me and I can send you an invitation.

16. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. livemouse

livemouse Producer

my impulse response folder is 7GB in size, and it would probably take the rest of my music career just auditioning them. but the good news is i almost never use them so i'm saving unreal amounts of time so it's a win-win situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

About the same here! I do use a lot of impulses, but I also have 45gb of them so I don't think I'll be able to go through all of them either :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

20. Al franklins

Al franklins Newbie