Looking for hardware synth and drum machine suggestions

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Bunford, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I'm just looking for some suggestions and inspiration on what hardware synths and drum machines to consider for making techno and tech house.

I like to work in Ableton, using MIDI, but do like the tactile feel of using hardware to inspire me and take me in creative directions.

I'm ideally looking for instruments where they can receive MIDI over USB from Ableton and the ideally also be able to send audio back over USB into Ableton, just to make it easy and uncomplicated. I do have an Audient ID14 MkII interface with a Motu 828 MkII connected to it in ADAT for audio inputs if need be, but trying to have a fairly simple and minimal setup, so would prefer to not have to use audio output cables if possible. I realise this may generate some "just work in the box" type of responses perhaps, but that means losing the tactility of hardware that I find to stimulate my creativity.

I'm happy to consider anything from the cheap to the more pricey stuff, but mostly looking for best bang for buck type of gear, be it the Behringer dupes or anything else worth considering.

Cheers in advance! :wink:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  3. -

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2023
  4. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

You didn't say what you want to spend.

Say a drum machine. You can get anything from one of the many Behringer drum machines like the RD-8 MK II, RD-9, RD-6 or the Behringer EDGE, if ever comes out, or Arturia DrumBrute, to a Roland MC-707 or one of the Elektron boxes like the Analog Rytm MKII. That's a wide range of prices.

Synths are even a broader range.

Personally I'd go with something like for my Drum Machine +

and one of these for my synths

If I wanted a more modern sound.

5. Qiloo

Qiloo Ultrasonic

Novation Peak, Roland SE-02 & Elektron Syntakt are my recommendations most of the times.

6. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

If you want an all-in-one solution with good DAW integration (ugh windows with multiple external usb interfaces) I would look at a Roland FA-06 for techno or whatever in a minimal studio. By the time you actually outgrow it, you wont mind midi snakes and midi timepieces and interfaces.

As always the issue with Roland is one day they will stop making drivers for the connectivity part but if you don't mind freezing a system for use, and some cleaning of internals every decade or two it will work till the Dinosaurs come back and rule the earth once more.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

if you are not trying to work without a daw, I'd use drum hit samples and get a better synth. even when I have a drum machine around to use; the first thing I do with it on a track, is record it to audio.

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

But then you watch videos like this one and just want a million drum machines :rofl:

9. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I watched the Sonicstate demo video of this when released this morning and it looked pretty good to be fair, and reasonably priced at £549!

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

It's the workflow more than the sounds, so I just prefer computer/DAW for pattern editing. I'd still be tempted to get a Moog DFAM, for a realistic price used. Use it for months for somewhere close to free and get your money back when you are done with it style.

12. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

TD3 and the MO version, def essential for dechno these days. Add distortion/sat etc from plugins inside DAW and you are good to go.

i wouldnt buy a drum machine as you can get so many samples out there, i found recently a lot of Jomox samples, which should be great for dechno.

13. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I saw loopop's video on this one. Seems like a good deal.

7c8rrn2.jpg

I'd seriously consider going with something that has a sampler or a way to load any sounds you want, or an actual sampler. That way the skies the limit, sound palette wise. That's one of the reasons I went with the Analog Rytm MKII above.

Another option is one of Akai's MPC's.

14. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I actually was looking at the TD3 MO version. The only thing that bugs me about it is the lack of audio out over USB.

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i dont use audio over USB, i use the normal Jack 6,3 to XLR into audio interface. Works fine. USB only for MIDI.

USB always was troubled with Audio over it for synths and it would require Behringer to make a proper audio interface in the TD3's which would increase the price by a lot i think.

I like my TD3's with normal audio out via cable and not USB.