Looking for good courses and books about marketing strategy for musicians

Discussion in 'Education' started by waverider, Oct 23, 2020.

1. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Hello,
    I would like to know if anyone can recommend me their favorite courses and books about good strategy for new musicians, about how to proceed, release music, build a fanbase, use social media properly, and grow as a musician.
    I think I am decent when it comes to making music. But I am a complete failure with marketing, selling myself, and dealing with social media.
    My problem really is that there are so many courses and books out there, that I don't know where to begin, or which one to consider a working, currently applicable resource.
    I have come to accept that I might spend a significant part of the day not making music, but instead doing other ... "stuff" that has to do with marketing, promotion, social media, and so on.
    I would like a step by step program, or at least some kind of product where you can tell that the author has experience, and which has an overall, well thought out strategy to it.
    I'd be grateful for any recommendation. Doesn't matter to me if it's on sister site or not.
    Thank you.

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

my favorite book about music is "How Music Works" by David Byrne. He covers many topics-part autobiogrphical, part advice based on experience. Plus, I am a fan, so I am possibly biased.

4. waverider

waverider Rock Star

@rhythmatist Thank you, but that doesn't seem to be what I'm after. I'm not looking for a resource to understand music as such, and its importance in human history and to the human existence etc.. I'm looking for a marketing guidance for independent musicians, valid in 2020. Besides, the book you mentioned seems to be from 2013. Thank you anyway.