Looking for an unicorn ( a vst sampler)

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Noprays, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

aha no worries man...Actually everyone here has offer software only solutions (although some can be completed with a controller, just like you can in Live with push, which is also recommandable), cause indeed now it's preferable, to reconstitute a workflow, not so much the hw.
    As far as daws are concerned I find FLS much more closer to what the op is after than ableton. And bitwig is probably much less convulated than ableton, with a nicer learning curve and the same workflow options.
    I personaly don't recommand any daw for that as the learning curves are too steep, and because they are daws and offer much more than mpc clones, they add unnecessary steps to a pretty intuitive workflow. The few steps you indicate kind of reveal that, imho of course, much easier and with less steps to do everything you describe in any mpc soft clones available (maschine, geist, mpc, you name it, there are probably others).

2. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

@Talmi You are absolutely right.
    Semantics aside, that really is how I think of Kontakt.

3. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I recently saw one ! ~~~> https://choon.co

Believe in the Choonicorn <3

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

@Talmi yesterday I played around with teh MPC software again. No crash , the only thing I disliked was that the GUI freeze some times and the small fonts. I wonder how it works with the hardware ! btw seen https://force.akaipro.com/ ?

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

The thing is, there's not many VST samplers that can actually sample. I don't use any that can because they suck IMO, and I'm also oldskool and using hardware samplers mostly. You're missing out on some really good stuff by asking for something that is as easy as recording something on the desktop and drag-drop into the VST like TAL-Sampler, ShortCircuit, Kontakt... they can all do that.

Honestly, I don't know why not so many VST "samplers" can actually sample. Probably because all the developers were in diapers when we were sampling stuff, and they just don't know what a sampler is. :wink: Hell, even Sonic Charge Cyclone cannot sample, and it's a faithful emulation of Yamaha TX16W.

112dB Morgana sounds too grundgy to be used as a main sampler. It has a nice mojo, but only for a instrument or two that needs it.

ShortCircuit is so good. So simple to use. More simple than any of the hardware ones I have. Shame it's only 32-bit, but it works nicely with Reaper's 32>64bit bridge. TAL-Sampler is also really great and easy to use, but it's not multi-timbral. Being oldskool, I really miss multi-timbral instruments, so I could just put it on one channel and route MIDI tracks into it, and keep it open at all times.

All this VST synth/sampler per track seems convoluted, confusing, and in case of TAL-Sampler wasteful since it uses about 60-70MB of RAM per every instance, and that's without any samples loaded! :sad: The developer didn't care to implement shared memory, it seems. Kontakt and Battery both use shared memory, so each new instance of either doesn't use double the RAM. Sad thing is, that's not really needed for Kontakt or Battery since they have multiple outputs and Kontakt is multi-timbral... I really wish TAL-Sampler had at least multiple outputs, so you can process different samples with different FX.

Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Noprays

Noprays Member

Mornin' guys..well I think I solved my thing..I'm going to tell you the whole story if you have enough time :)
    Ok, after reading carefully all your answers, I tried the software you suggested and of course I did my personal research in google, forums youtube etc..So, I bought a 2nd hand Maschine MK1 to see if working with the hardware in my hands could solve the workflow thing. And..no, it was really a mess and the only benefit I found was the "chords" thing in maschine what is really great but doesn't collaborate too much if you are able to play some nice chords in the keyboard. I felt really dissapointed and for worst, the 2nd hand Maschine I bought had a problem so I had to return it to get my money back...in the meanwhile I continued working with maschine software trying to make friends with it lol, I did some demos..when suddenly I noticed that what I'm looking for I already have it and I was as simple as Serato Sample..It has the almost perfect workflow for me and my needs, only thing I still don't know is how many instances I can open in my system becaause I don't know how it works regarding the RAM use, considering it's using a whole file ( mp3/wav) proccesing it in in real time..but for now, seems to me as a lifeline :)
    Regarding the recording/editing in real time I still can record from youtube, save the file and load it inmediately in Serato to chop it..so no complains there..
    thanks for your help!! really aprecciated, many regards from Argentina :)

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Serato Sample looks quite interesting, actually, for simple and quick sample mangling. Looking at its features, I find it too simple for my needs as the main sampler, but everyone has different needs. :wink: And it's not like you can't use multiple plugins for different things, anyway. I'm sure I could use it for something, too. :)

Yes, plugins that don't have shared memory can be a real bitch. :mad: Thankfully there's not many like that that I know of. It's easy to check - just load two instances of some plugin and watch for double memory usage. If the difference in RAM usage is less than double, it means plugin is using shared memory. That can be a real issue with something you use on every channel, like an EQ or a compressor.

If you're happy, I'm happy, man. :wink: Happy music making! :headbang:

8. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

hopefully the right one is reading the thread...
    :hillbilly:

9. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

Noprays
    which genre you into ?

10. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

11. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

you can buy blofeld with sample license...i guess you can sample with it then..

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

It's a wavetable synth. Not a sampler.

13. Noprays

Noprays Member

Hi! Actually what I'm trying to do some hiphop beats a la JDilla, as Im mostly in pop/soul music I'm trying to get out of the usual "song" structure. Just composing beats using sampled chops. It's a kind of challenge because I usually laid in put a "chorus" in the middle of the beat, but it's a nice challenge. Thanks for asking!

14. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Baxter, check it out here, for example. You're right, but I didn't know Blofeld could import samples... That's a really interesting feature. :wink:

15. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Absolutely, 60 megs of sample flash instantly available after power-on is really something, more than enough to build your own D-50 clone on steroids :wink:

16. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I had the Blofeld with the sample upgrade. I used AudioTerm and other cool stuff for it. Eventually I sold the Blofeld as it didn't really fit (it was too digital sounding at the time, as well as I had Largo).

17. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Do you know this one?

It's really a fantastic soundset and a good start for creating your own "analog" sounds (although I guess you won't consider getting another blofeld :winker: )

18. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Never seen that soundset. Sounds good! I just checked the date of the video and it seems that I sold my Blofeld one month prior to this video came out. Haha!
    Blofeld is still a good synth, but it has a "cold" quality to it (which is great if you want that). I was more of a grittier kinda guy.

19. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

There's a guy calling himself "Synthesizer Video Service" on youtube, he's done a number of blofeld tutorials and although I consider myself an experienced synthesist, I did learn a few things by watching his videos. The blofeld is a special guy.
    blofeld-539242.jpg

20. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Best Answer
    @Noprays Have you tried Cubase sampler track for your workflow for sampling? Easy sampling, you can play it with keys too and it supports drag´n´drop to sampler, i.e groove agent, kontakt..