Looking for an unicorn ( a vst sampler)

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Noprays, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeap that's why I suggested the MPC soft (no need for an MPC hw, although t's better, midi keyboard now work fine with the soft, idealy a few pads on your keyboard will get you closer to the original workflow). Or geist which is a clone of the mpc before akai made the jump in the soft world.
    It's basically the hw and workflow that was used by every major producers in hip hop during all the 90s and start of 2000s. You wanna go there, you need a sampler and not a rompler, or you'll have to bounce your samples from wherever you record them, then drop it on whatever rompler you've chosen (all the softs quoted above that don't sample but just play samples, which you can actually simply do in any daw, Cubase included which now also has a sample player included). If you want to complicated things, well....You killl the spirit of the workflow which is, I guess,the spirit you're seeking.
    In the MPC or geist you sample directly inside it from whatever source you have then it goes straight into its included sequencer where you have your other samples, with a nice browser that gives you access to all of them etc,...It flows naturally. Your samples can be edited in there great sample editor, etc.
    You don't even have to use your daw...MPC or geist are both stand alone. you can do your entire loop(s) or beat in them, then mix it your daw of choice.

2. Noprays

Noprays Member

Update
    I've been trying almost all the suggestions. All great and with great features. fact is that I realized that what I need is a VST that can record INSIDE Cubase. Almost all of the programs you suggested are great to edit already recorded samples, but no one records, just Maschine and Halion but even I'm receiving the audio signal from the audio interface ( Youtube/WMP, etc) in the audio channels, I can't make Halion or Maschine to receive the audio signal. I can`t figure how to rout the signal so this VSTs can receive the input from Voicemeeter. Of course, as standalone programs there isn't any problems. Maybe what I'm trying to do is not possible working inside Cubase and I'll have to work in Ableton as someone suggested. Any ideas?

3. Noprays

Noprays Member

Thanks! I'm figuring my problem is that I'm trying to do it inside Cubase..maybe I should leave Cubase to add midi tracks once I have the samples sequenced in MPC as you said. Isn't exactly my original idea but maybe is the only solution.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  4. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

That's the problem indeed. Working in Asio, I guess, you have to route audio through voicemeeter, as soon as you use your daw since it takes over asio. And all vsts inside cubase lose the ability to record external sources.
    If you wanna do that either you record your external sources in cubase and kill the workflow or you have to use a soft that can sample on its own outside cubase. Maschine, MPC, geist...All stand alone solutions.
    But since they also exist in vsts you can then take all your sampling work inside your daw when you're ready. But it does add an additional step.
    That's why I thought doing everything in any of those soft might be better. They all include internal fx, and with MPC you can use all your vsts inside too.
    It's both a sampler, a sequencer, but also kind of a daw (vsts and vstis are usable inside it, you can sample, it has a mixer, several outputs, etc.)

5. Noprays

Noprays Member

Yes, even it has a new and own learning curve..It seems that it's the only way to create a workflow close to what I used in the past. I honestly and seriously thought in re buy the old EPS 16+ but I'm afraid it`ll be a totally loss of money and once done I'll blame myself. Thanks for the help and interest I'll try MPC or Geist and see what happens.

6. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

No problem. You're right. It's a learning curve. Since those are powerfull soft, it becomes interesting and less fastidious once you know them a bit. Still they are both quite intuitive, it should come quick.
    And yeah it's a good idea to try to find your old workflow in the box, if it really doesnt work you can still go back to your old ways. Much more possibilities in the box, but maybe this part is what knocks out a bit the original workflow which was also define by its technical limits (little memory, quality of sampling, etc) and simplicity. Honestly I think now in the box you can get the best of both worlds (the old workflow + endless possibilities beside to add more modern stuffs), but it doesn't mean it's easy to jump ship. I come from the old world. I know it's hard.

7. Ankit

Ankit Guest

You are completely wrong. Kontakt is one of the most feature rich sampler available. Below is a video you may watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I'm right. It's not a sampler. You on the other hand don't know wtf you're talking about. As usual, I might add.
    But I do love it as a rompler (a sample reader). I, on my side, know what it does in great details, and what a powerfull non sampling tool it is.
    Could you show me how you sample in kontakt I would be very interested, lol. That is, of course, if you know what sampling means, which apparently you don't.

9. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

E-mu Emulator X3? And yes, it still authorizes and works on modern 64-bit systems.

P.S. It doesn't require any E-mu specific hardware, unlike previous versions.

10. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Offended or drunk? FYI, Kontakt is called a sampler. And no, it does not record. Still called a sampler. Does not behaves like hardware samplers. But still CALLED a sampler. IDK why. Software samplers are called samplers. You must call it a rompler if it makes you feel better.

11. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

Only for masochists though. It has a lot of features, including a record function in standalone mode and definitely has has it's own weird charm. And all those weird unique and great sounding filters. But it's IMO horrendous to use and quite buggy on top of that.

12. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

A sampler is something that samples. Period. If you don't know what the f..k it does, nor what op was asking well it's too bad for you, but maybe stop giving lesson about things you don't know.
    And I don't care about NI marketing scheme it just isn't a sampler. Why do you want to give this word another meaning then what it caries. Are you high ffs ?
    It doesn't make me feel better to call it a rompler, it would make me feel better to be able to sample with it if it were a sampler. But well it's not. So I have to sample with samplers...And call romplers that don't sample romplers. Life is not nice like that, you know. Reality is never far away, and meaning of things just don't change cause NI, Trump or Ankit said so. No one cares about your redefinition of things. OP wanted something to be able to sample, not a freaking sample reader, not kontakt. Get it ?

13. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

Holy shit dude. It's a sampler. It been called a sampler by everyone in the industry, including the developer, since it was released in 2002. Along with all other soft samplers which very few actually have record button in any mode. Because you are supposedly working inside a DAW which does have a record function and hopefully supports drag & drop. And because VSTi standard, in my understanding, does not offer straight forward support for audio inputs.

Romplers on the other hand are traditionally understood to be quite limited 'preset players' with no or little tweaking capabilities in which you definitely can not add your own samples to. READ ONLY MEMORY. Unlike, for example, Kontakt, which has all the fucking features you can imagine and you can add gigabytes worth of samples to. I have never seen anyone call Kontakt a 'rompler'. Before you, of course.

But since you apparently know what you are talking about, I will just shut up.

14. Ankit

Ankit Guest

He is high as hell. Leave him. Kontakt loads, edits and plays audio files, hence called a sampler. Simple definition. It just does not behave like a traditional Hardware Sampler (what OP wanted). If it can extract a sample from audio, it is a sampler.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
  15. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Actually until recently this whole sampler/rompler difference was pretty much accepted by anyone. You can still find a lot of topics covering that, no problem.
    And no, software romplers aren't at all limited preset players. HW romplers were. Wtf are you talking about. You remember the correct definition of things when it suits you...
    Kontakt is indeed a powerfull thingy. Just not a sampler. It doesn't sample.
    Finally the point of OP was to sample. So your sampler that doesn't sample just doesn't cut it, no matter how you freaking call it.

16. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I think of Kontakt as a sampler.
    Yet, I know, importing is not recording.

17. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeah, and you would recommend Kontakt for someone who wants to record ?
    Helpfull tip.
    I was just responding to OP request, the vocabulary thing was a side note to underline that for what he wished to do, the workflow he was seeking, Kontakt wasn't appropriate.
    It was not a diss to kontakt, nor a vocabulary holy war.
    Just pointing out to someone from the hw world, that what is usually called "sampler" in the soft world doesn't quite match what he was after. A sampler.

18. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

ROMpler is a type of synthesis. Kontakt is not a ROMpler. It's a sampler and sample player. I don't think "recording" is a hard criteria to call it a sampler, neither does Native Instruments.
    A ROMpler is not a sampler or a sample player.
    Just because you can't record into Kontakt doesn't mean it's not a sampler. Just like you can't record into a ROMpler, like you can with some granular synths. But granular synths are not neccessarily ROMplers or samplers either.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  19. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

20. johndoehizzle

johndoehizzle Kapellmeister

i know fl studio has directwave vst sampler.... ive heard of AIR Structure 2 Sampler Workstation, give that try maybe? ...