Looking for an email provider

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by DoubleTake, Oct 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I am looking for an alternate email provider to use with the sister site.

Sister site warns that email from them is blocked by gmx, web.de, hotmail, outlook, msn, & yahoo.
    I use Yahoo for my non-personal & disposable emails, so I was wondering what might be a good alternative to those listed.
    I know there are loads of options, but I don't want to use something new then want to change it.
    Any suggestions?

3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

gmail

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. CKrome

CKrome Newbie

Protonmail or Tutanota

5. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Protonmail +1

I think gmail can be a PITA because it (can) panic if/when u use VPN or whatever changes your IP geoloc. Or if "suspicious behaviour" in general is detected... but so does yahoo, I think - so you are obviously not a privacy freak.

@korte1975, do you know a way around this? At the end one has to deal /w google anyway (for YT,..)

6. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Best Answer
    I use Gmail for public stuff (although it is personal,too). I am not so much worried about privacy as malware/viruses.
    I definitely want to keep my Gmail for "official" stuff because it is so well linked to everything.
    Yahoo I have used for years, with 2 accounts linked to a website memberships. 1) Totally above-board and kind of "official" 2) For memberships I did not trust my main account with. 3,4,5,6,...etc) for riskier websites,etc I suspected i might want to dump.
    With Yahoo's security failure I was a bit worried, but all it would mean is to dump those emails and lose membership history for some forums, IF they are tied strictly to the email address with no recovery options.
    Since I can't use Yahoo, I'll try one of the others CKrome suggested.
    In this venture, I mainly hate to find out that it's glitchy working with the sister site (such as blocking sister site's emails), or inconvenient.

I don't know anything about the ip geoloc panic ... but i am guessing you are talking about when verification and security answers are demanded because your ip is hidden / changed...
    ...and it makes me think more about how to go about this :D
    I don't mind going in "street clothes" on this site, but it would be nice to wear my clown costume on sister site :P

7. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Thanks :) I'll check them out. I am assuming you use one of them with the sister site.
    If you do, which do you prefer?
    LOL
    I can't reach the Tutanota website for some reason. I turned off uBlock & Popup blocker is logging nothing ....
    I am not sure if that is a bad sign ... or a good one !

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  8. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

There is no such thing as "security questions/answers" with google (from late 2015-). If you had those from before, you can use them, but if you try to change them they get erased. Long story short, now it's difficult to even create an account without giving google a phone nr... which is A LOT of info.
    Ok, I understand - privacy is not a concern..
    I'd say you are currently parading around naked, writing a diary about every move you make, sending it to your ISP which will keep it for months... just in case somebody becomes interested in what you've been doing lately.. :winker:

P.S. using an xy mail doesn't do a thing (like hide something about you and your activity) on the "sister site"