Looking for an audio recorder VST Plug-in

Discussion in 'Software' started by safran5020, Feb 5, 2017.

1. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

As the title says, I am looking for something like "TapeIT" which is a VST audio recorder that you can load into a VST host like Blue Cat's Patchwork, and can be use to record your work as you create / jam. The problem with TapeIT is that it is pretty old and only 32 bit.

I know there is a preset in Blue Cat Plug-in Script for that but it is too basic therefore not very flexible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  3. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Yup I agree, I love me some Edison for recording tutorials but damn it starts to drain your resources 10/15min into recording, you could always cut the bit depth from 32 to 16 which helps a TON.

Random question, will FL plugins be vector based within other DAW's, or is that just within vector based DAWS? Because Parametric 2 and FL Limiter in Full screen is so sexy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. safran5020

Oh ! I have this plugin somewhere. I'll give it a try.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

tulamide, Thanks for your suggestion too. I think MRecorder is part of Melda's free bundle.

6. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

FL Edison
    Voxengo Recorder
    HGS WAV Recorder
    Sonic Assault Capture! v2.0

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. safran5020

These 3 are 32bit plugins, I have seen those while googling before posting. Thanks man for taking the time to answer.

I think Edison is doing the job.

Thank you all ! :wink:

8. With Edison, depending how much RAM you have, all you need do is to save what you recorded from time to time. Have fun jamming and creating with your new tool.

9. LHO

LHO Ultrasonic

Hey peeps,
    the idiot in me thinks "derp-a-derp why don't you record straight 2 daw derp derp?". My curious side is thinking "oh, that's different, therefore inherently interesting". So, would you guys mind sharing why you prefer recording jams this way as opposed to a "more traditional" approach? Is the main point being able to decide what gets written to disk or is it about not being inhibited by any possible restrictions? Or something entirely different? Not here to judge, just interested in how others create.
    Thanks and greetings from Berlin
    L

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. I was thinking the same thing but stayed in the box for once and didn't launch off the pointed question. But now that someone crack3d open the egg, let's have omlettes.
    Greetings from Basel

11. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

And what about just record master to a new track in your DAW ???!!!!
    Of course if you use a HOST instead of a DAW, it makes sense ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. safran5020

Well, playing inside a host is different than working inside a DAW in the sense that it is much lighter and snappier to load. I like Patchwork because it loads instantly and I have different presets that loads faster than inside a DAW. So when I just feel like playing and let go my inspiration, I find it more convenient to just double click my host and get to it. In the early eighties I had the habit to always trigger my reel to reel record button while playing.

It's true that I could do this inside my DAW but, like I said previously, it is just a matter of a faster alternative.

Greetings from Montreal !

13. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

i like Patchwork, but for a different reason.
    It can brigge any plug-in format ( vst x86, vst x64, aax, etc ).
    If i remember correctly, Reaper loads fast , worth a try ... ( demo is fully functionnal and has no limitations, beside the startup splash screen, which will be gone when you buy - and its the cheapest)

14. safran5020

Patchwork standalone cannot load 32bit vst's (maybe because I use the 64bit version). I haven't tried though as a plug-in inside a DAW.
    I'll try Reaper and see how fast it loads. Thanks for the tip :wink:

15. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Plogue Bidule has a record thingy. It goes straight to disk and with the following preferences:

Write audio files to disk (in 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 24 and 32 channels audio file), with the specified file name.
    • Bit Depth: bit depth of the file to record
    • File: select the file name and location for recording
    • Recording: stops/resumes recording of audio
    • Create new files for each record: create a new file appended with the take number on every start of recording
    • Current take/Elapsed time/Size on disk: statistics on the current recording
    • Create multiple files: enable the creation of several mono/stereo files instead of a single multi-channel file (see next parameter)
    • Channels per file: when Create multiple files is active, select between creating mono and stereo file
    It can host your plugins too.

Overkill maybe but both Reaktor and Guitar Rig have tape-deck style recorders. Reaktor even has drag and drop functionality for recorded files. Just route your audio tracks to them. In Reaktor, connect the Ins straight to the Outs and use ReaktorFX if want to load it on your master.

upload_2017-2-9_3-31-38.png

upload_2017-2-9_3-34-24.png

I said Reaktor a lot.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Also, in the Kontakt 5 GUI, if you hold the Control, Alt and Delete keys you get the ability to record.

upload_2017-2-9_4-5-17.png

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. bur

bur Newbie

I can recommend VB-Audio Voicemeeter Banana. This is a great peace of software and it is free. Apart from powerful routing of audio signals this software mixer can record any source from your PC and external ones, simultaneously, by your choice. (+nostalgic tapedeck giu :D)

18. bur

bur Newbie

This mixer and all that "audio cables" stuff significantly improved my workflow, including musical activity

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

voxengo has one, which saves direct to HDD. itsx32 only.

20. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Say you want to record changes you do to the bass, while working on it. You route the bass tracks to a recorder and everything's fine. You still hear all the tracks, but only output the bass.

I never did something like that, but I could imagine such an application. And there it would make sense to use a recorder plugin.