Looking for an Audio Interface with ADAT - Input needed

Discussion in 'Studio' started by MusicMaker2023, Sep 16, 2024.

1. MusicMaker2023

MusicMaker2023 Noisemaker

Hello

I am looking for an audio interface with ADAT as I have used all my XLR inputs up on my Apollo Twin MK2.

Currently I am looking at a Focusrite Saffire pro 40 which is selling for £50, but I wanted your input on it.

I don't want to spend out lots of money on this, but looking at them on eBay £50 is reasonable as they're selling for £100 on Ebay.

Anyone able to recommend any other interfaces?

I was looking at the Behringer ones too

Thanks

3. samsum

samsum Producer

I had a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and the Saffire Pro 24 DSP and also had a Behringer UMC-404HD.
    First of all I would avoid Behringer as their Customer Support is not great and the Mixer Software Interface you get with the Behringer Audio Interface is not very pleasant too and very basic.
    If you go for Saffire Pro 40 just make sure your Firewire is working great. I think you can get Thunderbolt/Firewire Adaptors too and the Mixer Software is pretty great too with the Focusrite (higher end models) unlike the Solo etc.
    I sold my Saffire for £120 on e-Bay a few years ago and they're great for that money.
    Focusrite also have a Refurb Page if you want to look at more recent models much cheaper than new prices
    I fancy a Scarlett 18i20 but currently using Steinberg UR-44 (1st Gen).

4. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

It might be worth looking around for something that acts as a converter rather than an input too... I had an old Roland rack unit that acted as a digital input mixer that could basically mix any digital form of input at any sample rate with anything else and output it as whatever... it was the most amazing thing! And I think they sell used for not much, I have to figure out what the model number of that thing was.

5. MusicMaker2023

I thought you only needed the ADAT ?

6. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

It was the M-1000. Turns out it supports an optical input but not ADAT. Nevermind... :thumbsdown:

7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

If this means you want more analog XLR mic/line inputs going to ADAT out, you 'd probably be better off with a multi channel preamp like a Scarlett or Clarett+ Octopre from Focusrite. They cost about 450 and 750 euros respectively. Focusrite also make the Clarett Octopre Dynamic at 650 euros.
    Cheers

8. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Member

The 18i20 comes with 8 analog inputs, 2 loopback inputs, 2 S/PDIF inputs and 8 ADAT inputs. The reason there is only 8 ADAT channels is because each time the sample rate doubles, the channel count per connection is halved. So 44.1k and 48k are possibly optimal. I am not sure if there are any units that run ADAT in quad band (176.4k/192k), at least not affordable ones for the average person.
    The 18i20 can record at 192k but it's disabled for ADAT.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024
  9. kike1

kike1 Member

Saffire is firewire, it's old and abandoned connection.
    Use scarlet instead 18i20, it has lots of input and adat.

If you want to use saffire as an adat to your existing card, you can. But you need to have computer with firewire port to setup saffire before you can plug it into your apollo. Otherwise it wont work.
    Of focusrite site there is a manual how to do this.

I think is this one:
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...p-Saffire-Scarlett-1st-Gen-in-Standalone-Mode

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

11. MusicMaker2023

I’m looking at the Focusrite Scarlett octopre (third gen I think)

12. stopped

stopped Platinum Record

I'd recommend the m-audio profire 2626 or echo audiofire pre 8, both will work in standalone mode as a converter and had sound that was highly regarded (at least for their time). they might be slightly more than your intended budget, but only because people still want them as opposed to every other ancient interface. the behringer one is recommended fairly highly as well

the sapphire does seem to be a good choice, it does have standalone mode as well but wasn't on my radar when I was filling this same need (i ended up going with the ferrofish pulse16 which totally blows up your budget, and the 2626 and the pre 8). if it works as is truly only 50 euro why not just try it?

I'm honestly confused as to how some of the things recommended here would fit your use case of filling your spare adat connections. you don't want a separate interface that connects to your computer again, that will not fill those empty adat ports at all, unless you're doing some sort of bizarre loopback

13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I don't get it, sorry. You used up all 2 XLRs on the Apollo Twin and you need an audio interface with ADAT inputs? What for? Where from? Do you have a preamp with ADAT out? In that case what @clone posted sounds pretty perfect and simple solution. Do you actually need a whole audio interface with ADAT I/O, XLR/TRSs?

I love that little thing. Very cool. I didn't know such thing existed. Thanks @clone! :wink: ALSA compatible, nice. Wonder what the latency would be with it.

14. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

than one has FireWire, so forget about it right away, you'd lock yourself into completely outdatech technology, locking yourself into outdated drivers, system and such,
    while it probably can be configured as ADAT converter, save yourself hassle and forget about anything with FireWire, it's 2024 now,

Apollo Twin MK2 has only ADAT IN, which means your ADAT converter/preamp will have to operate as solid WordClock master, potentially crippling Apollo quality,

with that out of the way, there aren't many budget-friendly options, just to name a few, you can go for Behringer ADA8200 (avoid older 8000 model), Focusrite Octopre MK2 or MK2 Dynamic (again, avoid oldest models) or newer, RME Octamic D (variant with ADAT included) is also a fantastic option if you find it at low price, Octamic II is usually way more expensive,

what inputs specifically you look for, microphones? combo inputs? for example to record loud instruments like drums you need higher quality preamps with more headroom, condenser microphones require +48V phantom power (and most of the 8-channel preamps don't have individually-switchable phantom power or can't hold all 8 phantom-powered mics reliably)

15. MusicMaker2023

Now looking at the 18i20

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. MusicMaker2023

Does it matter what I personally need them for? Everyone has their own reason for needing extra inputs

17. InFiNiGhTe

InFiNiGhTe Member

Save up and spend extra. Get something like an OctoPre. Seems like a good deal at the moment.

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

If you ever thought UAD's software was bad, Focusrite's Mix Control and later software Focusrite Control will be like going from the frying pan to hell. Do you like plugging in your interface, and having it's software tell you there is no interface detected, over and over until you plug it in "the magic way" ? How about your headphones output sounding like an abrasive tin can? Then the 18i20 is the interface for you, because it is junk.

19. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

Also just an FYI, Windows support ended for the Saffire Pro 40 at Windows 10 22H2. There are workarounds but they can be a hassle.

20. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Member

I own one and with next to no complaints. The only thing I should mention which was stated above in brief, is that unless you wish to spend around four times the 18i20's cost, you may have difficulty finding a fully-featured 8-channel or higher audio interface that has every input with a capacity to be phantom powered. If that is not an issue then it will likely do everything you want.

They are pretty good with driver updates and from my perspective, listened and responded when I had some minor popping problems in the very early driver release (they fixed it). They actually personally sent me a temporary hotfix until the next release. They're at version 3.18 now. It started at around 3.01 so they update pretty regularly as they seem to support and value their products and customers.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024