Looking for an Android app that allows listening to a backing track and record a guitar

Discussion in 'Mobile' started by Olymoon, Sep 14, 2023.

1. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Please, only experienced user. I'm NOT interested in a list of app that you read about somewhere.

So, it's for a friend who have to learn guitar parts.
    He don't have a computer.
    He only needs the following functions:
    - Load backing tracks
    - Slow the backing track without changing their pitch.
    - loop part of the backing track ( not mandatory but would be good)

- record his guitar while listening to the backing track

That's all he needs, while I know that there are entire DAWs for Android, this not what he needs. The simpler, the better.

Thanks in advance for your experienced answers and advice.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  3. mythimus

mythimus Member

So as I've said in another post, I'm not a super experienced producer but I do own Audio Evolution Mobile Studio with the low-latency USB audio driver, and I have used it to record vocals using a Behringer UM2 + MXL 770 while direct monitoring vocals that had auto-tune in the effect chain. I found this low-latency driver was necessary to record vocals while listening to the vocals/music in headphones.

AEMS is an entire DAW, but its actually surprisingly simple, and there is also a pretty thorough walkthrough on YouTube, that doesn't take all that much time to watch in its entirety. It reminds me of a multi-track recorder when you open it. There is also a 30 day free trial via the play store, and the developer is really really cool, they're good with support. I swear I don't work for them lol I just got it early on for my daughter, shes in middle school and likes to sing, and write songs so I wanted to get her stuff to make music with but she wanted one of my "old cell phones if i had one" so I met her halfway and bought a cell phone with the intention of setting it up to make music and that's the path I went. I used a USB Condenser mic, a cheap one from amazon, it looked like a miniature Blue Yeti lol, but everything worked great. She was recording herself singing to backing tracks.

I'm honestly always surprised that I don't hear much about it, but I guess not a whole lot of people in the developed countries are doing music on handhelds.

4. mythimus

mythimus Member

Here you go, I found this link to KVR too outlining if you want to read an overview by someone who is probably on a technical level closer to yours: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/au...o-for-android-by-extream-software-development

https://extreamsd.com/ and this is the dev, it reminds me of a mutlitrack recorder with extras, I always think of it along the lines of audition or audacity more so than a daw, because I've not used the synth or sequencer much but I definitely have recorded and bought it specifically for that.

5. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Absolutely yes, it's Amazing Slow Downer for android, it's made specifically for that.

Edit: the only thing doesn't do is record.
    You need another app, basically a daw like n-track for android

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  6. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

See PM.

7. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

there are actual dedicated devices for this. They have real dedicated controls built to task
    try a little google or duckduckgo or whatever

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=guitar+trainer+tascam&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images

they are called Guitar Trainers. they have a multitude of features to align with your training such as slowing the playback
    to make it easier to play along, repeating phrases so you can learn them, etc.

they are primarily mp3 based or cd (physical medium) so you can learn to play along with the original recording
    Roland makes them, Tascam makes them, I'm sure Zoom must make them, they make everything..
    the older cd based ones are very inexpensive on ebay.

while playing along to material is fun and can teach one how to be a parrot, I recommend playing scales to understand
    where the notes are on the guitar neck as well and learning to improvise and compose new material to help you flex your musical mental abilities.

[​IMG]

8. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

if your "friend" only wants to record guitar (multi-track), I recommend a Zoom r8, its one of the easiest dedicated multitrack recorders. records to sd cards, also acts as a usb interface if you friend ever gets a "computer". Also has a sampler function and drum machine, has built in guitar and voice effects, also a mastering suite to mix down your tracks into a "song" that you can drive your friends mad with.. used on ebay 100$ to 150$ often less. New around 200$

[​IMG]
    about the size of a piece of paper probably weighs around a pound. a 32gb sd card will hold 200 songs approx 3 minutes in length using 4-6 tracks and mastering them into a stereo .wav file. its a great practice tool and lots of fun.

9. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thank you all for your answers.

As I said, he wants to use a tablet that he already own, so any hardware is useless.

But I found a good app for him, BandLab – Music Making Studio https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bandlab.bandlab&hl=en&pli=1

It does much more than what he needs, but it's good and free.

(Meanwhile he left the band. He's "reasons" for coming to rehearsals unprepared were more excuses to laziness than due to lack of resources.)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023