looking for ambient and space music

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by ArticStorm, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Will SouthCape

Will SouthCape Member

Thanks to OP and those who posted links. Never really heard this kind of music before and now I'm kinda hooked. Pretty interesting stuff. I'll try to write something ambient as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  2. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

How about some Hammock?

3. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Great idea, both the vault and creating something together. In my fantasy it could be a joined work of sound, maybe even created live over the internet. But that might be a little too much to start with.

Drones.. get set for Lustmords' Blackstar:

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Hammock never heard of him before.

Lustmord - stalker, also robert rich.

5. davea

davea Platinum Record

6. Yonah

Yonah Newbie

:bow:

7. Fesick

Fesick Newbie

I listen to Drone Zone on SomaFM every night as I fall asleep. I listen to Groove Salad and other stations they host during the day too.

8. Ash

Ash Rock Star

Thanks for new ambient discoveries. There's some very interesting things in it.:cheers:

9. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

So... it's become evident AND obvious that many of you don't know what ambient music is.
    One's perception of what ambient music is, clearly needs to pass judgment with prejudice.
    Some of these examples are crossing way over into other genres especially the post-rock genre.

(by definition)

ambient:
    noun (also ambient music)
    a style of instrumental music with electronic textures and no persistent beat, used to create or enhance a mood or atmosphere.

I'm sorry to offend many of you but the problem today is that there are SO many categories and sub-genres that clear, defined boundaries are misconstrued by perception and lack of musical education. Some of the You Tube videos posted (above) are Post-Rock and other stuff borders on EDM. Really people?
    Just because a track drones doesn't make it ambient, just like a triplet-feel, 4/4 kick at 140 BPM doesn't make it dubstep...
    I'm all for a selection jury...

10. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

That came across as rather patronising. Is it really that important if some of the stuff posted isn't strictly ambient? Music shouldn't be constrained by genre, and neither should you.

11. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Something fitting the subject of space music :)

12. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

I guess you both are right. I agree that most examples in this thread aren't 'my ambient' either, there seems to be some misunderstanding of what ambient music really is. But then it also is a variable form of music with no rules per say. Everyone his/her own ambient, couldn't you agree on that?

13. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

ekh well there are two clear distinctions...

downtempo is usually ambient with a beat or groove, involves guitars and other shit...

and original ambient is usually dominated by atmosphere and no drums or at least very little...

it gets complicated cuz everyone has their own idea of ambient and genres do cross all over the place... alot of ambient starts off very atmospheric and all of a sudden a dance or orchestral rythm comes in and it just works so well and still maintains that atmospheric feeling.

Either way, it doesnt really matter, usually these names dont mean anything because its all up to what the artist wants to do and their own dominant idea of how they like listening to a type of sound...

usually these terms and names are now just a springboard to post sounds with similar essence, but can take on millions of styles... think of a music genre as like an essay prompt. It's just there to initiate the topic, but it doesnt have to always make a direct reference to the prompt, it can drift into something else but as long as the writer brings it back together and maintains the idea, its kinda ok...

whatever, billions of sounds and billions of people all with different ideas. Names and genres matter but dont matter at the same time... what cuts through is the actual sound and getting music done... imo

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  14. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

I understand your point Yuri... but this page was more-or-less to provide examples for the "ambient" album in the works. However, people are posting what they "think" is ambient and I wonder if they're just trying to show off their favorite "ambient" music.

Maybe I'm wrong... maybe this IS a showcase thread and I thought it had something to do with the album guidelines?
    In that case, I defer...

15. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

nah this place is seperate from the album, I only linked to here since this is where the idea started and plus there were some good examples here that are pretty much more or less along the lines of ambient...close nuff...