Looking for a master/midi keyboard with 49 keys

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by ArticStorm, Feb 18, 2021.

1. spncart

spncart Producer

Bad idea. I've owned a Keystep Pro since release one year ago and still haven't been able to use it properly, the firmware is half baked and they're still working on a v2 update more than one year later. I'd rather go with Novation or even better the Komplete Kontrol straight.

2. Gmartin

Gmartin Member

How about integration with Bitwig Studio?

3. Arghspace

Arghspace Guest

I have a Novation Impulse 61 which also exists as a 49 key version and it seems to tick pretty much all of your boxes. It also comes with faders which are great for controlling dynamics of orchestral libraries.:yes:

4. aeroflot

aeroflot Kapellmeister

5. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i have the 61-key version of this keyboard. have to admit, it's pretty cool.

6. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Plus it had like only 8 pots or something?
    Unlike the flagship model prior, the Keystation Pro-88 with its 60 controllers! 24 rotary pots, 9 faders (Hammond!), 22 buttons, 2 wheels, 3 pedal inputs.
    I have 2 of them. I used to have 3.
    Nah. The complete tool for a writer or a player is 88 notes.
    And no player I know, myself included, enjoys playing piano or Rhodes on a 61. It involves having to think because you are restricted. You don't have all the colours in front of you.
    I only use a non-weighted, synth key 61 for triggering synths because the keys are lighter.
    How many sample libraries do you know that don't need an 88 nowadays for the keyswitching?
    Who wants to have to jump octaves whilst doing a take? Who can? haha
    And going in and writing it in after would be tedious when it can mostly all be done live in one take.
    Strange logic. What about the rest of the musical universe of notes?
    Does a learner not deserve to have them at their disposal on the same keyboard without octave shifting?
    I can't understand any 'producer' or writer that doesn't at least have an 88 for their recording set up.
    One is totally free to compose then.
    Instead of metaphorically painting a picture with your brush going through a keyhole, and it taking ages to complete.
    HAHA! Not an issue!
    ALL MIDI keyboards are compatible with ALL daws! It's MIDI. Big deal if you have to map it yourself. As it always was prior to the supposed 'feature' of adding pre-mapped templates to daws for certain external devices.
    All they've done is what you will do if you have to map something older.
    All MIDI controllers work with all daws. That was the beauty and idea behind MIDI.
    Daws are MIDI sequencers. And our audio is sequenced with MIDI in its own way.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  7. onhappin

onhappin Ultrasonic

Don't know... mate! :dunno: I use it exclusively with Live 11 and to send some cv to a modular eurorack. It does the job superbly and have no issues with it either in terms of build quality or software implementation. :thumbsup: But I don't tweak my soft synths with it, also no live performances and/or other niche scripts on it... I do believe its sequencer, scaler and random abilities are unsurpassed at this price.

8. spncart

spncart Producer

Sadly the lack of visualization on screen is a big let down for me. For example it's impossible to know which key, sequence and arp I am in at any given time (visually speaking) sadly, unlike the Novation/NI keyboards.

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Roland A-500 PRO MIDI Keyboard Controller - 269 €

www.thomann.de/de/cakewalk_a500pro.htm

MIDI Interface 1x In, 1x Out
    • 49 Velocity sensitive keys with channel aftertouch
    • 8 Illuminated, velocity sensitive pads with hold function

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  10. Smoove Grooves

Whoah! Excellent.
    I didn't know Roland were making controllers!
    But hey, that link goes to a picture of something else! Not Thomann for Roland, and not Cakewalk as it says!
    With mono AT there, and pads, I'd say that's pretty good though.
    Hopefully it has a USB as well as the MIDI? lol. I'm sure it does.

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Many thanks " Smoove Grooves " for the " Message about the Picture/Link Mistake.
    I fixed the Error - now the thomann Link is working.

[​IMG]

12. Smoove Grooves

Great that it has 9 faders (drawbars!) because I've seen some with only 8 from other manufacturers! :deep_facepalm:
    Hammond needs 9.
    I bet this Roland pisses over any M-Audio stuff regards build alone.
    And Aftertouch for that price. Good old Roland. :wink:

13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Haha thats the one im looking right now, since people write the keybed is ace.

I read a lot of complains about the Novation Impluse - that it feels cheap, also the keybed.
    And since i play sometimes those pluck leads and trance basslines, i will hammer a bit on the keybed.

I think i will rly go for the 61 key version, no matter how much i think about the 49 key version, i will always have the problem i cant play pads/strings. And the few cm, i have them.

Software of the Roland one is no issue, since i have everything and well this is then my 3rd Ableton Lite license :D
    (Not sure if i should sell it?!)

Question is, if my notebook can handle the Roland or if i need the external adapter? (which is ~28€, thankfully i dont need to pay shipping)

What do you think? Should i buy the Roland A800 Pro - it is also on sale right now for 292€.

14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Grab it!

I also own an A-800 Pro, the keyboard is great and the case is very stiff. Nothing wobbles, the feel is very good and Roland has a very high manufacturing quality. The keyboard can be powered by USB. Some of the best keyboard on the market. The older keyboards still had a power supply, but the competitive pressure led to savings. Well, the companies make gifts so that the user decides on their product.

Depeche Mode also uses a Roland - A-800 Pro Midikeyboard

Roland Keyboard Rigs: on stage with Depeche Mode (from minute 7:05)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  15. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I have the A800 and don't have issues using just USB power on my 2019 MBP. It's a bit of a hassle to carry around, for random portable duties I've switched to a seaboard rise 49 now that am finally used to it. As a controller in a setup that is setup and stay though it has no issues running off bus power especially if the laptop is plugged in.

16. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Ohh okay, i haved use the Xboard 25 with no issues with my notebook.

I plan to use it only at home. Of course it is quite big if you want to have it on live gigs, but im not doing any of those.

Great i have ordered it. \o/ Cant wait for it to arrive.

17. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I think you will enjoy it. If nothing else it will be problem free, haven't had a single issue with mine for as long as I've had it.

18. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest

19. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I keep looking at this one. Is it good? It's an older model, but the specs seem practical.

20. thebeatsareill

thebeatsareill Kapellmeister

I have the Arturia Keylab49 and it is perfect for what you are describing. I don't know about keys falling off, lol. Never happened to me. I don't know how hard you would have to play to make that happen... I do take the keyboard back and forth once a week to a practice space and it has held up doing this for a year. In fact there isn't a scratch on it.
    As far as they comment about 49 keys not being enough. I do play with two hands across two octaves sometimes, but I am by no means a professionally trained piano player, so it is rare that I play to that level, but I do. I've never thought Oh I wish I had 61 or 88 keys.
    I never write a bassline that low or a melody that high.
    25 keys is too small for anything other than bringing on trips in a bag to use with a laptop to write with. I have the MPK mini for that.
    I also have an older Casio midi controller with 61 or so keys that I replaced with the Arturia. The eight drum pads, the preset selector, the faders and knobs (all work on all Arturia software and sometimes on other manufacturer's). The mod and pitch wheel are fun, though I don't use them very much, personally.
    I highly recommend this. I have the white one