Looking for a master/midi keyboard with 49 keys

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by ArticStorm, Feb 18, 2021.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Hey there,

here is a list, what i need, want:

- 8 pads for drums tuff
    - aftertouch
    - halfweigthed keys
    - 49 keys
    - a few knobs for controlling filters
    - keys should feel fine, i have a played of times on real grand pianos, upfrights and expensive keyboards
    - keys shouldnt be to small

price range: 0 - 250€

A few i have an eye on:
    - Arturia Keylab Essential 49 - sells for 185€, great keybed, but i read rly bad reviews that keys fall out
    - M-Audio Oxygen Pro 49 - 221/225€
    - Alesis V49 - feels very cheap according to reviews, the pads are like tipping on a desk - 93€

I mainly want to play pads, strings, piano and ofc sylenth1, Serum etc

Previously i owned a M-Audio Prokeys 88sx, but sold it, bcs it was to large for me, still own an emu Xboard 25, but the software is no longer working, so that i cant adjust things like velo curve, etc - started sending random midi data from time to time, cleaned 2 weeks ago, it seems to work now, but somehow the keybed feels hard ...

hope u can help me, with suggestions,
    Thanks,
    Artic

3. mpderry

mpderry Member

Maybe Behringer Motor 49. 49 semi-weighted with aftertouch, quite solid, 8 pads, 8 panpots, 8+1 motorized faders (each can have 4 banks in MIDI mode), Mackie Control, arppegiator. Should not be so expensive. Got this piece and one of mine best buys.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. livemouse

livemouse Producer

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Novation Launchkey 49 MK3. features scale and chord modes but unlike NI and Akai, its standalone not powered by Konnect or VIP.

6. mpderry

mpderry Member

Exactly. Forget to mention, that faders, panpots and pads Each have 4 banks in MIDI

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

no aftertouch, out of sale in two online shops i checked and well, other topic somebody said, the keys broke?
    can somebody explain me this means?

Would be even happy with channel aftertouch, which i found the Oxygen Pro got.

8. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I've been using a Roland A-800PRO & A88MKII for years with no issues whatsoever. The A-800 is older but they both work just as well. I have few smaller controllers from AKAI, Novation, ICON, and very old M-Audio Oxygen. Aside from the Rolands, they've all developed some issues mostly with the rotary potentiometers jittering or drivers being obsolete. However the Rolands just refuse to die or even develop any issues.

The A-500 has synth keys which is the only strike against it, but it does everything else without glamour or fault. I think they run around 200 euro, give on a try, it might not be flashy but it gets the job done and documentation and midi implementation is solid.

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Right, should be Novation Impulse 49.

10. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Are there no good controller keyboards at all in the 100 - 200 € range?

11. recycle

recycle Guest

I think 49keys is a wrong measure for anyone: if you play with both hands it's too small, the minimum acceptable size for an expert keyboard player is 61, but if you don't know how to play and use the keys with only 1 finger then 49 is too big: if you have space or budget problems then 25 is fine.
    Be aware that whatever keyboard you choose will be compatible with your daw: for some reason there are keyboards that are not natively mapped and you have to map any midiCC by yourself.
    (eg: Nektar has no support for Ableton)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  12. mpderry

mpderry Member

OK. I'll try to describe. Motor have a 3 control sections. Faders, pans, and drumpads. And of course a keys (surprise :)
    In MIDI control mode, everything can learn, AND each control section have 4 banks to remember settings.
    Tested in Reaper and Live and works. Also with automation.
    Mackie Control is a little diffrent animal. If you set DAW to Control surface>MC (whatever DAW you have) there are only 8 channels you can control from Motor, but I think there is a roundabout. And panpots already are set to pan on channels 1-8. And It's reprogrammable. (RTFM)
    One thing I leared, MIDI mode for create, MC for mix, but as I sad, it can be programmed, and it is't so much trouble.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

i had 88 keys, which was too big, sold it, because i used my 25 key Xboard more, it was smaller and fitted perfect on my desk, but this is kind of to small as im noticing now, i ended have not enough space, when i want to play pads. so doubling the size should work.

if i want to play really piano i know where to go, when this lockdown is over, so it shouldnt replace a piano either, its is sort of in between.

Also the master keyboard cant stay on my desk all the time(i need to use my desk for something else most of the time), so making it bigger, would make it harder to store somewhere or if its that smaller i could lean it on a wall for hours with some plastic bag to cover, till im using it again.

Thanks for ur input.

14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Im lookiing around for like 2-3 weeks now, for that what i want to have, its difficult to find something. It was much easier 10 years ago. nNow everything seems cheaper made - well inflation and stuff to blame i guess.

Also the me wanting aftertouch makes it really hard in this price range.

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

ohh i saw this on the way, let me check. Any reason why it was renamed?

Not bad:

Need to put this in my list, also playing looks very good. and its like 3€ cheaper than the Oxygen, which looks and feels cheaper?!

16. No Avenger

17. No Avenger

I know what you mean, but 25ers often lack some controllers (pads, knobs, faders).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. blackmoon

blackmoon Kapellmeister

Personally I'm no longer a fan of M-Audio having owned several which had failures in a relatively short amount of time.

I picked up a used MPK49 which ticks the boxes for the most part I believe? I got it used for a buck fiddy, perhaps you could find one in you neck of the woods? I've been really happy with it but I'm not a pro keyboard connoisseur by any stretch. It works and does what I need it to do and most importantly it hasn't failed me yet, even after s couple of moves and 7+ years. I see Thomann has 'em for 229. Might be a worthy consideration? Using Ableton and Mac it might be better to go for the Novation. The Impulse vid you linked is sweet, kinda makes me want one lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Doesn't seem to be available any longer. How much did you pay back then?

20. Howard Carpendale

Howard Carpendale Platinum Record

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. mpderry

mpderry Member

About 200€, And it's still available in Poland. Maybe try to search for used.