Looking for a little line mixer with headphone output

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by krameri, Apr 28, 2024.

1. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

3. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

If that thing can output on 1/4" and 3.5mm simultaneously, you can feed the 1/4" to the berhinger headphone amp.
    https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-HA...hringer+4+channel+mixer&qid=1714316814&sr=8-7

[​IMG]
    and use this for your headphone feed.

4. Garamondo Furbish

5. Garamondo Furbish

6. Garamondo Furbish

and I've never used this brand or device, but it has enough shit to make nasa cry...
    D Debra Professional Audio Mixer DG-05, 5 Channel Sound Board Mixing Console with Bluetooth, Mic Preamps & USB Audio Interface for PC Smartphone Studio Recording Webcast

[​IMG]

About this item
    • √ Professional recording sound card, with 2 inputs and 2 outputs to computer recording software, realizes real high-quality recording, supports sound quality 24bit / 192K, HI-RES lossless transmission, realizes track splitting recording, and makes audio editing and post-processing more convenient.
    • √ HI-RES lossless transmission, perfectly matching Pro Tools/Ableton Live Lite/Reaper/Ableton and other DAW recording software. DAW software is not included, which means you have the flexibility to choose music production.
    • √ Bluetooth version 5.0 with efficient and stable wireless audio transmission and almost lossless sound quality, makes accompaniment music become recording material at any time.
    • √ It has superimposable reverberation function. DG-05 provides CH1 with adjustable high, medium and bass, stereo output and mute functions to meet your various needs.
    • √ Our microphone preamplifier has high dynamic margin instrument input and classic gain, and the sound effect is very good.
    • √ It can connect various convenient devices. Connect the smartphone recording through the type C / IOS cable. The Android system needs to turn on the OTG function switch. The IOS cable needs a decoding chip to be connected and used normally (IOS cable not included).
    50$ on amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TDZS9L...nstruments&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw

7. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

It's not made anymore but I still get a lot of mileage outta my Alesis Multimix 4.

[​IMG]

Dead simple to use, handles allsorts, phantom and a hipass for instrument channels. Also of course doubles as a USB interface.

It's just a handy thing to have laying about really, I can use it as an audio interface for a simple mobile setup w/ an iPad, a monitor mixer when recording, as an additional headphone amp, and as a monitor volume control.

There's a new model out that has an effects unit onboard, but haven't used it so can't vouch for it. I've friends who're happy with similar Behringers so those could be worth a look as @Garamondo Furbish posted.

8. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

Maybe a bit overkill and also a very special unit is the Behringer FLOW 8:

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=0603-AEW

[​IMG]
    It is controlled via Bluetooth with your smartphone or tablet which can be a bit annoying.

I have one myself and these are the very special use cases which make it an extreme useful unit at least for me:

- It is powered by USB, 5V, 2A, so I can use it with a power bank wherever I want.
    - It has a very powerful headphone amp with max. +19 dBu output that drives my DT880 250 Ohms to unbearable levels.
    This means 19.5 Vpp or 6.9 Vrms output, so internally a DC-DC converter generates the needed voltage.
    - It has a 9 band full parametric EQ on main and monitor outputs! Plus 4 band full parametric on all inputs.
    This makes it a great working mobile low latency (0.6 ms) headphone EQ.
    Also room correction EQ on main out is possible with additional measuring equipment.
    - It can connect to a BT audio source to quickly play music from your phone to the PA or headphones.

Now the cons:

- Layout and user interface are quite special and not very intuitive.
    - Adjusting EQ parameters on phone or tablet are very unprecise, I used an analyzer to program my headphone EQs.
    - USB audio interface is only 48 kHz and only class compliant on Mac and so not the lowest in latency.
    - BT audio is just basic and so has high latency which is ok for background music.

It's quite an unusual device but where else can you get two stereo 9 band full parametric equalizers with 0.6 ms latency (analog in to analog out), a high power headphone amp, 10 in 4 out USB audio interface and everything powered by a powerbank or USB power supply?

Maybe this is useful for someone else.

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

Do your 250 ohm beyerdynamics need this or are they driven enough from your audio interface? (without the Flow 8)... My motu 828es drives them ok without my monitors on, but not enough when I have them on. (It's not a difference in output when switched). The Motu's control is done via a web http interface so it is an inconvenience more than anything, but i'd like to have an easier way of dealing with it without an additional device if possible.

10. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

I know I'm a bit of a nerd concerning headphones, the DT880s are quite neutral in the mids but need EQing in treble and bass region. And for me personally, I need to EQ every pair of headphones, so having parametric EQs without Mac/PC and audio interface is a great thing.

At home or in the studio I do everything with plugins and either the RME Babyface Pro FS headphone output or my own self built headphone amp and am completely happy with it.

My RME Babyface Pro FS has +13 dBu output into 250 Ohms which is good for mixing, editing and so on. Playing Piano or Rhodes for fun or when recording loud without compression or limiting can go into clipping. My older Babyface 1 has about +7 dBu output into 250 Ohms and can more easily go into clipping, the beyerdynamics are not very power efficient.

Most manufacturers don't give enough information about headphone outputs. To be precise, you need to know the output impedance, the maximum output voltage and the maximum power at a given load resistance. As a technician it is easy to understand, but not without some basic knowledge. And often the information in the data sheet even isn't correct or just copied from an earlier model.