Looking for a good singer songwriter/folk drum kit

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Bunford, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I'm looking for a drum VSTi/kit to use for some singer songwriter/folk type projects. I'm finding it hard to find anything that's not a full on drum kit.

As an example, if you listen to this song by Damien Rice, at about 1:00 minute in there's a subtle drum kit that kicks in to emphasis the chorus of the track. I'm looking for something that can be used in this kind of way or as a bit of a heavier/more involved kit, but still fairly low key kit due to it being for simple acoustic/piano projects so not wanting anything overwhelming in the mix.

Grateful for any suggestions!

3. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

It´s not the drum kit, is the way it´s used in the song. Any drum soaked in reverb making it sound like coming from the next room and with a very low level in the mix will do the trick. It's just a matter of experimentation, I think no drum kit available sounds like that without some tweaks.

4. Crevice9

Crevice9 Producer

Some key questions would be be what DAW are you using and do you have a midi controller with pads? If you want just simple drums, most DAWs come with some type of drum instrument that allows you to use drum loops, single hits or MIDI grooves that are preinstalled. If you don't have a controller with pads you can tap in beats with your cursor. Here is a tutorial for Impact XT in Studio One. Good luck.