Looking for a good free hosting for audio files

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Olymoon, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Hello Guys and girls
    I'm looking for a good free hosting for Audio files. One that would fit the following conditions:
    Allow copywrited material
    Audio only (not YouTube)
    If possible could be linked to ( edit: embedded in) from a forum

I dont mind if it's only private sharing, it's for my band.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

FIDBAK.AUDIO
    [​IMG]
    Fidbak.audio is a new service to upload your audio files and invite guests for listening and downloading. The beautiful thing about Fidbak.audio is the integrated audio player. If you upload high-quality audio files, it can later be played as Mp3 or lossless audio(up to 24.bit wav & 96kHz). Similar to Soundcloud, you can comment via timestamp function. So you can communicate correctly about the piece of music. Therefore this service is optimal for the participants like songwriter, producer, mixing engineer, mastering engineer, label, or can be used as a promotion tool. You can upload up to 2GB of music for free. Try Fidbak.audio now

+Specialized for sending and listening to audio files, perfect for embedding music on your website

MIXCLOUD
    [​IMG]
    Mixcloud is the perfect place to upload your Podcast, Radio Shows, or DJ Mixes. The music cloud from Mixcloud is entirely free, and you can upload unlimited files. If you are a content creator or DJ and want to make your audio files available online, try Mixcloud today.

+To share and listening to Podcasts or DJ Sets
    +unlimited storage

SOUNDCLOUD FREE
    [​IMG]
    The company Soundcloud, is also known as the social media website for musicians. At Soundcloud, you can upload your own produced music. There is a feed where your favorite artists' tracks appear; they can be clicked or commented. On Soundcloud, you will find many unreleased music pieces and DJ mixes. With the free plan, you can upload up to 3 hours of your audio clips. If you subscribe to the Pro Plan, you now even have the possibility to distribute your tracks. Your songs will then be made available directly on streaming services like Spotify.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  4. Olymoon

@BEAT16 thank you very much for your complete answer. :wink:
    I was using SoundCloud z but they delete the files when their robot find similitudes with any copyright protected song.
    I'll try FID.BACK first as it seems to be exactly what we need.

5. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

mega.nz? They offer previews/streaming but not too sure if it's embeddable anywhere.

I use this with collabs so it works well that way for sure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Olymoon

Thank you for your suggestion.
    You underlined one of the things I'd like to be able to do, as I've created a private forum for my band, and it would be great to embed the tracks in there. That's why I chose SoundCloud at first. But it's impossible to work with it as they delete the tracks.

7. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

For our group I set up a MediaWiki installation and used local embeds w/ raw tracks on mega, but this might be outside what you'd like to do.

You could utilize the free cloud instances out there for this, but again it might be outside what you'd want to do.

*edit* Vocaroo is a simple way of sharing audio, but not all forum software accepts it embedded.

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Don't know if fidbak allows copyright protected audio, but you can select download, upload and comment for the audio files and this comes in handy when working with a band on a track.

Last time I used it I found it a bit fiddly but that's maybe just a question of getting used to it.

9. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i went to the fidback website, and tried to play the video on the landing page. it could only play a few seconds at a time and then buffer for at least a few seconds. hopefully they do a better job of streaming their customers' audio.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Olymoon

Yes it's useful , I wouldn't call it fiddly but too simple organisation wise.
    But it'll do the job for my band it seems.

It happens to me too, not only that but opera freezes.
    But I posted some audios and it worked good.

11. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Sounds both promissing, I need to try. [​IMG]
    Still here, worked. No stutter, no crash and no clue why (FF, Opera with VPN, NoScript, uBlock, Win7???).

Been a while since I've been there. Could be they've updated some things.

12. nctechno

nctechno Kapellmeister

you could also just host yourself with nextcloud on raspberry pi. 20$ one time purchase and nobody ever deletes your files ever but yourself.

13. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I host my own Nextcloud, but you really need a provider for that. Most ISPs are not that welcome or usable for this.

I hate Oracle from the bottom of my heart, but their free cloud offering is perfect for this.

14. nctechno

nctechno Kapellmeister

ok. i guess it depends where you live then. no problem here in germany with that.

as op asked for private sharing only i would suggest that isp wouldnt even notice the traffic.

additionally you would need to setup dyndns to have consistent urls but thats childs play.

15. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Re: soundcloud... I'm probably missing a lot of good music but if it's a link on a web site I never click it - I have my system volume set just right and I'm not going to mess around lowering it just to listen to a file. If I don't lower the volume the soundcloud file is invariably extremely loud. Many requests have been made for a volume control but they are ignored.

16. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Something I've always wondered about in regard to uploading your own music to one of these streaming sites - or any site: isn't this a form of publishing your music? If you were to get a record deal (I'm old) won't the contract have something in it that insists it hasn't been published elsewhere already? I know I'm overly simplifying this...

17. nctechno

nctechno Kapellmeister

[​IMG]

soundcloud quality is big trash though

i dont know about major labels but for genre stuff if there even is a contract at all nobody cares usually :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  18. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I just checked some messages on this forum that contain soundcloud containers and they don't have that volume control option. What are you using here?

19. nctechno

nctechno Kapellmeister

oh you are talking about that mini player. thats the main sc page, it seems that the embedded player doesnt have the option

they are one of the last that dont use loudness compensation, thats probably why it's too loud for you

20. Peter Gabriel

Peter Gabriel Platinum Record

21. Olymoon

Guys, thank you all for your answers.
    I'm finally using fidbak.audio for the following reasons:
    I can put copyrighted music
    We can listen to the songs directly from there.
    A code to embed players is given ( even if it's not working as is in freeforum.net)
    It's totally private.
    You and invited guests can comment on the time line of the songs

Defaults:
    interface is not very clear, specially if used from a phone
    Timeline comments is not horizontal.
    Free is "only" 1 gb so you have to use mp3

All in all, it's the best solution I found for now given my band's needs.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List