Looking for a Dynamic eq...controlling the timing...

Discussion in 'Software' started by stav, May 26, 2024.

1. stav

stav Member

From what i understand dynamic eq operate as soon as they see the signal..and they push it down on the areas u need..

But I want to be able to delay that function by the miliseconds i want. (I.e not instant as soon they see the signal)

which software dynamic eq can do this?

thnks

3. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Off the top of my head: Kirchoff EQ, TDR Nova, SSL X-Dynamic EQ, MDynamicEQ. There's probably others

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

you will have more control over the reaction time of a side-chained compressor.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

If I understood you the right way you just need to change attack settings of a compressor.

Dynamic EQ is a sort of compressor which touches some frequencies only. More strictly speaking it's a "blending" of equalization and compression.

6. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Platinum Record

FabFilter Pro Q-3 can do that. The timing setting are a little bit hidden. And no, there is not only reduction, there is expansion too. Look up the videos of Dan Worrall about what Pro Q-3 can do. You will be astonished. Pro Q-3 can be for example a multiband compressor if you want it to. Kirchhoff is able to do the same, but that EQ I rarely know.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

But you can also raise and lower the threshold of the compressor to set when it begins it's reaction. You can also change the compression ratio and adjust how much the compressor is going to clamp down. This can be used to adjust the speed of it's reaction, and is especially useful in situations where you do not have the option of using a lookahead parameter. And if you really need to, you can just link the compressor to a midi track as it's external sidechain source. You can move that as accurately as your sequencer's resolution ppq allows.

There is probably some youtube influencer to blame in this "recent discovery" of dynamic eq being used in lieu of sidechain compression or envelope. Which guilty party finally printed the Pro-Q3 manual and read it?

8. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

May be, I've not understood you... Yes, you can lower the threshold, the ratio etc. of a dynamic EQ. Because it is a compressor. I don't know about linking a compressor to a MIDI track as I never use it.

What is your objection? Why "but"? All that you wrote is implied by my answer.