LogicPro & Novation SL 49 MKII

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by ElMoreno, Sep 14, 2017.

1. ElMoreno

ElMoreno Kapellmeister

Hello audioz friends,

I need your advice and help…

I would buy a Midi Controller and I was thinking about the Novation SL 49 MKII.

What do you think about that Novation? Someone of you have that keyboard? Do you recommend it to me?

I play Pop and Latin music and I would automize everything with LogicPro (Volume, Expression, Parameters, Plugs etc.).

I found a Novation SL 49 MKII for 190 euro, so seem a good price.

Many thanks and good music to all of you.

3. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

I have it, because I wanted to use it live with ableton / traktor, adding a kontrol F1.
    but I'm a Logic / protools user too (more than ableton yet, I'm still learning it, actually)

I have pros and cons : it's easy to install automap, and you can automate / control quite every plug ins, DAW, synth

but the screen is really small, and you've gotta learn how to navigate with the keyboard,

and I had to find a tutorial serie dedicated to this controller, which are honestly very hard to find, even on Audioz, so I was lucky
    ( I can share it on the sister site if people want, but my bandwith is very slow, so I think it's better if someone with high speed internet do it - it's the groove 3 serie )

another issue I've had was automap scans plugins each time you launch your DAW,
    I haven't tried the new version yet, but it takes forever if you have selected a lot of plugins
    and most of the time their "abort" button was not responding.

Another thing about automation, is that you're really more precise and efficient with your mouse / trackpad. you can't miss, if you want it there, you'll get it there.

this said, it has the reputation to be a very good controller, and I've seen some people doing great with it, live or studio.
    and 190€ seems a pretty fair price, so, I hope it helps

:bow::mates:

4. robbin_banks

robbin_banks Newbie

Stay away from novation, their products are nice but automap is complete trash and hardly intuitive like you would hope. maybe go the akai route, the vip software seems promising

5. ElMoreno

ElMoreno Kapellmeister

Well, it seems Novation is more painful than joy... :snuffy:

So, if I avoid Novation, would you suggest me the best keyboard model that do all the automation with LogicPro?
    Logically at a low price. :bleh:

Thank you…

> Just for info: I'm a bit disoriented, I've seen this video and all seem wasy & simple but I'm not very competing with keyboards.
    Is it a fake video? :woot:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  6. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Honestly it works just about as well as the other stuff out there. I have some Novation gear never had a problem with any of it. Like any other tool you get what you put into it, at that price point whatever you get will be comparable or or worse.

You don't really get too much more without doubling or tripling the price and even then everything has its own issues and nags.

When it comes to these things such as controllers and all - if you can tolerate the feel of the knobs, keys, and general build quality and it connects to your DAW and you can see messages being sent you can work out the rest later. It's not always worth it to keep looking for a better hammer, at some point, one just has to learn how to swing a hammer. People have done crazy shit with less and worse.

7. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

I own the Novation SL 49 MKII. I love it's keybed. The thing is plastic, so it's very light, but the quality is good.

8. ElMoreno

ElMoreno Kapellmeister

So to you Automap work well/easy/simple with LogicPro and automation etc.?