Logic X

Discussion in 'Logic' started by paraplu020, Jul 16, 2013.

1. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

Are there such big changes in the OS that you will lose a lot of plugins when you update to the newest OSX?

I use OSX 10.6.8. with 50, 50 cracked/legit plugins and am just about to buy that OSX update and Logic X.

Can anybody fill me in about the known losses (as in cracked plugins that won't work with the newest OSX)

:bow:

2. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

Good mindstate, but for me the functionality outweighs their stupid strategies and all. Logic was already the most streamlined music making experience for me but it lacked some pretty necessary things for composing (electronic) music, now they're almost all there. They stole some great ideas from other DAWS and that was just what I needed, all those things like macro's and the new 'generation' of MIDI devices, but then in my good old Logic.

Really, some people just complain too much and don't look at the good things. (not talking about you, but you quoted someone who clearly wasn't informed well)

3. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Logic X new features look great. Been using L9 64bit version for some time now so I couldn't care about the 32bit issue.
    Someone mentioned Overloud is 32bit. TH2 is defo 64bit as I'm currently using it.

I have 2 versions of OSX running on my mac, so I'll give it a whirl on the other instance before I make the final leap.

And wow... someone left because of another topic!! Bye bye, not missed

4. xsze

xsze Guest

You will not loose much, except for Logic X route where you loose 32 bit's natively, but for me personally Logic 9 performs best on 10.6.8...again I'm looking for bigger picture and future, so jumping on new things whenever apple forces you with their decisions is not my thing, can't see myself dealing with that, other than that, it's not big deal if you don't care about that, it's really personal view :wink:

Don't take my opinion too seriously because you have your own personal thing going on, it looks exaggerated because there is more dust in the wind than it should be :wink:

5. lisapower

lisapower Member

From 2003

"WWDC 2003, San Francisco—June 23, 2003—Apple® today unleashed the world’s fastest* personal computer—the Power Mac® G5—featuring the world’s first 64-bit desktop processor
    and the industry’s first 1 GHz front-side bus. Powered by the revolutionary PowerPC G5 processor designed by IBM and Apple,"

10 years later, still waiting for 64bit implementation of a lot of plugs.

6. Maduka

Maduka Kapellmeister

I think I made a good decision about moving to Cubase *yes*

7. jabbawork123

jabbawork123 Newbie

No Lexicon support...excuse my Greek...for lack of a better phrase...really. fucking. sucks. big time.

8. notrace

notrace Producer

Correct, just like pretty much every other DAW out there, it is now exclusively 64bit. It no longer supports 32 bit mode which includes plug-ins etc.....

9. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

but what about then 64 bit is THE norm in all daws? cause we all know that day is going to come.
    i don't understand why most of the people blame apple for this natural progression of technology. they're a top of the line technology firm, ofcourse they're going for the best and latest shit and OFCOURSE i understand that sucks sometimes cause we don't have moneytrees growing in the backyard, but goddamn, that's the way progression works. the old gets replaced by the new and slowly becomes obsolete. imo it's a pity for some real good plugins, but it's totally not a wrong move of apple. i hope it stimulates all (au) plugin developers to get on with it! *yes*

10. jabbawork123

jabbawork123 Newbie

No URS Pro either!!! That's my favorite compressor/saturation in the world :(((

11. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

mail them to hurry up with 64 bit. mail every plugin developer you own. *yes*

12. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

Best DAW ever. Got it from the App Store :)

13. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

i thought it is distributed exclusively via the appstore?
    anyway, it's obvious you like it, i like everything i've seen too, but i'm curious what are the things you like the most? tell us a little bit more detailed mini-review-like if you will. there aren't many workflow vids etc out there yet.

:bow:

14. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

Give me some Days, but I love it from the Beginning :)

15. jabbawork123

jabbawork123 Newbie

Have you heard the Steinway piano? It's pretty amazing and makes me want to actually use it. overall, the orchestra instruments are a huge step up from what they were.

16. tjisousa

tjisousa Newbie

And I'm just here, waiting for a cracked version of it :(

17. jabbawork123

jabbawork123 Newbie

Overall I'd say the breath and quality of samples is enorrrmously better than Logic 9...for anyone who used that and hit a brick wall, having to turn to external plugins for a decent synth sound....let's just say it'll take a lot longer to hit that wall with Logic X here.

18. jabbawork123

jabbawork123 Newbie

Also, I just got my first crash. But I'm pretty sure I deserved it. I was downloading the additional content (45gb - FREE, btw because I was concerned - loops, instruments and kits)....while looping a track I'd recorded with the new drummer drum set, stacked to the hilt with a hall reverb, with my keyboard typing window open, noodling around, while flipping through different synths. now all my downloads had to start over. awesome :)

overall, yeah, logic x seems flippin awesome. why would anyone use pro tools still? this is so much simpler, intuitive, packed with features, and the same audio quality now. done deal for me!

19. xsze

xsze Guest

Because still Pro Tools is the thing for recording&editing and choice of many professionals for long time, it serves their purpose like Logic serves yours :wink:

20. jabbawork123

jabbawork123 Newbie

my izotope ozone 5 wasn't validated...but that's about it. the main issue is with 32 bit compatibility. my URS Pro and Lexicon aren't compatible with Logic X. those are the two for me that really hurt. I have the complete waves pack and they all work fine, although, I did read someone from here say that the Abbey Roads don't work, haven't tested them yet. also, my korg legend collection thing is gone. I've also been using izotope nectar, which is also gone. PHEW. I guess it's a new day 1 for mac plugins :X