Logic X Sample preview and import

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Swatch, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

hi there.
    i searched but didn´t found the wished solution.
    I worked with ableton and S1 and other DAWS.

Logic is not good at browsing loops and samples.
    Ableton for example can preview in the right bpm.

I have in remembrance that i can drag and drop samples from battery or maschine into the project, but this dont work :(

Can you suggest me any good way to work with samples? Preview, drag and drop? A component which works well with Logic?
    And how can i easy timestretch the sample :)

i know, very basic question

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  3. LordFunky

LordFunky Ultrasonic

personnaly, i use audiofinder to browse and preview loops and samples then i drag n drop into logic.

4. beatroot

beatroot Producer

i have never had any problem dragging audio files from the browser to the arrange.Drag and drop is easy in logic x.You could drag the edges of a sample loop to fit to tempo after dragging the loop to the arrange page.

in previous versions of logic you could preview samples in the loop browser or in the all files browser by just selecting them and then hit the spacebar - this behaviour has changed in logic pro x, as hitting the spacebar now always plays the arangement - but, if you select a sample in the browser you can hit ctrl-spacebar to play it!
    this way you also could jump between samples using the arrow keys or by just clicking on a random other sample - it will then autoplay as long as the little "loudspeaker" play button is lighting green with no need to press ctrl-spacebar again.

if the sample is very short and the green button goes off too fast - hit ctr-spacebar to play the first sample and then just release the spacebar but hold the ctrl key - now you can click on random samples and they will play. this will also open the right-click menu with no further click, which can speed up the workflow even more.

You could try this
    Iced Audio – AudioFinder

5. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Logic's browser can preview in sync only previously tagged AIFF loops. So that's that. For previewing other types of loops you can modify the project tempo to match the BPM of the loops you are previewing, it will play them in sync.

Edit: You can reWire between Logic (master only) and Live (slave) and you can preview any loop while playing the project using Live's browser.

The basic stretching is rather easy: enable the Flex mode on daw, then on audio track (Speed FX mode) then go to the end of the loop and hover the upper part at the end of the loop, until your cursor looks like this (stretching mode): >]<
    If the cursor looks like this <]> that's a resize without changing the innitial tempo of the region.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2016
  6. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

The browser in Logic is cold garbage. You'd def have to use a third party app to have some fluidity

7. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

Got a pretty cool step forward here.
    Ableton Rewired to Logic.
    I HAVE MY SAMPLE BROWSER :)
    It previews all samples in the right speed :) AAAND i can drag and drop it in the logic project

now i´m still playing around with this flex stuff :(
    When i want to drag anything on the line it ends on the end of the sample.

Wanna 145bpm stretch to 130 bpm. Then when i want to drag anything in the flex windows i´m on the end dron the sample file.
    I watch a youtube video now. Maybe it helps.
    Would be pretty cool to have a input where i can set the original bpm

8. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Use the apple loop utility to convert your samples. Then they'll sync in the media window.
    Just found a video with the link to the apple loops util. (it doesn't ship with LPX, only 9)

Link is in the vid description so have to open it on YT.
    Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016