Logic Pro X "Improves processor balancing for multi-out" and yet...

Discussion in 'Logic' started by realdannys, Mar 19, 2017.

1. realdannys

realdannys Noisemaker

According to Logic 10.0 change notes it "Improves processor balancing for multi-output software instrument configurations."

and yet with a single instance of Maschine 2.6 multi-out invoked I still see this...

[​IMG]

This has been the same for me since Logic 9 back in 2009 when I first attempted to do it with Maschine 1 and Kontakt. So exactly what are they supposed to have changed? Back then there was a memory leak in Logic where you can insert and remove some plugins over and over and eventually it'd run out of memory, I wouldn't be surprised if that still exists but now we're on 64bit with tons of RAM to spare would be hard to trigger (if not impossible)

I can't be the only person seeing this with multi-out Audio Units. It's happened to be across 3 different iMacs now and tons of versions of Logic. In this project that I took the screenshot from I have a pretty simple instance of Maschine with one drum kid, and about 4 more groups which have nothing but a sampler on each. I've routed them to audio outputs in Logic and I have midi inputs so I can arrange in Logic.

The dream for me would be to sketch in Maschine then move over to Logic and arrange but when this happens it makes playback impossible, Logic has crashed 3 times on me in an hour and now just changing one instrument in Maschine causes huge CPU spikes on a single core.

I'm running the current top spec iMac with 32gb of RAM, but of course when it's being crippled by a single core constantly bouncing around 50% and then spiking at over 100% when you press play, it makes that redundant.

How are other people working around this? I don't want to put my Maschine into midi mode and use it as dumb midi pad to arrange in Logic. I like the idea of having all my drums on one midi channel, but the individual sounds in separate auxs for mixing.

3. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

since Maschine 2 It became an issue in most daws , so the issue might not be Logic but lay with NI

4. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

On my Macbook I grew tired of adding samples and making patterns (I have more than 30 playing) and I'm still with the last core barely rising (my last core is at the level of the first core in your picture). Are you running latest macOS version, latest Logic Pro X?

Also this:

[​IMG]

5. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

That behavior is normal. Especially since Machine, Kontakt and a lot of other plugins don't support multicore processing, there will always be a higher load on Core 1, because that's the only core they can address. As long as not all are up, it's not a big deal. Set the processing threads to whatever you're CPU is capable of (= NOT Automatic!), so the threads get spread better across the CPUs and set Multithreading to "Playback & Live Tracks".

I am Running Maschine 2.6.1 inside Logic 10.3.1 on an i5 Mac Mini late 2011 and it works okay - with all outputs routed, MIDI as well. Not as great as on my i7 Hackintosh, but still okay for a 6 year old barebone machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Hi dannys1 from GearSlutz,

first of all: Is your audio driver latency high enough?

The lower the latency, the less processing can be done in real-time.

It is essential to understand what can be distributed over multiple cores, and what can not. Plugins inside a DAW usually only tie to one CPU core although they might perfectly handle 8 cores when running standalone.

Lacking a better description from Apple, I expect that what they mean by "improved processor balancing for multi-out ..." is that while they cannot let the AU or bridged VSTi itself be handled by >1 CPU, at least the processing done for the individual outputs will be distributed over other CPU cores.
    Apart from that, you can always create more busses and do any heavy-load processing there, simplifying CPU load distribution.

Apple has written a little tutorial expecially for Logic, old but still valid:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201838

> The dream for me would be to sketch in Maschine
    > then move over to Logic and arrange but when this
    > happens it makes playback impossible
    Sounds like a bug in Maschine. Why don't you just export audio stems from Maschine and drag these into Logic? That would free up a lot of CPU for better things, and you could use them in Logic Touch Tracks for spontaneous re-arangement too ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. realdannys

realdannys Noisemaker

Of course, I forgot about live edit mode. Doh. It is actually a lot better than it used to be providing you don't select the track in the arrange window. When I don't do that the last core is empty and all the other cores have a little bit of usage each.

So when playing Maschine is split over all the cores equally - it's just in live mode that the issue occurs. Which is still a bit rubbish as if you want to change a sample it's glitch all over the place during the writing phase - and you don't really want a 1024 buffer whilst still programming (not that that fixes it anyway).

Ideally you'd only load up the multi out come arrangement and mixing time - but for me, arrangement will also include a lot of extra programming, editing, new sounds when they are required and the replacement of sounds that no longer work - so that workflow is unlikely for me. The same reason I can't just bounce bits down to audio - especially drums. I program fills, and edits throughout the entire track, I couldn't drag them in as audio until I really was right in the mix only stage.