Logic Pro X "Changed number of Midi Inputs" Problem

Discussion in 'Logic' started by kelaynak, Jul 9, 2022.

1. kelaynak

kelaynak Newbie

Hi guys, I'm trying to connect my KORG Taktile 49 midi keyboard to DAW -Logic Pro X version 10.7.4- (macOS Big Sur 11.6.1) and keys and pads working but faders and the other functions are not working. I've tried to install Control Surface Plugin which is provided by KORG and it didn't work then I found a solution. I've installed Mackie Control or Mackie HUI in Logic Pro and keys, pads, faders and the all other functions are worked. Problem is when I'm trying to add a new software instrument track and load a third party plugin (EzBass, EzKeys, EzDrummer or the other plugins that give me the notification that I shared below as a picture) it says that "Changed number of Midi Inputs" and Mackie Hui disappears from Control Surface Setup Page so after that midi controller is not working anymore and I have to set it up again and again. I don't know why it happens, can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Attached Files:

3. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Those plugins create virtual MIDI ports which are then changing the order of the MIDI ports reported on your system, messing up your existing setup. Probably down to the way Korg is reporting it's MIDI port to the system...

4. kelaynak

kelaynak Newbie

Thank you for the answer, anything you know to disable creating virtual midi port feature? Also Mackie HUI midi control surface setup disappears when I close Logic completely and open again. I don't know why it's automatically organise my midi setup that I've already set because I've unticked "Automatically Installation" option at the Controller Surface Setup page.

Attached Files:

5. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Sounds like your control surfaces preference are not saving if your installed control surfaces gets lsot, probably indicated permissions problems on your system.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

That will be a dead end/rabbit hole. Like installing software for a Mackie hw controller and expecting that to suffice, because the Korg hw device is not installed correctly. Anything can send CC messages over USB and seem like it is "working". But it is still not installed correctly with its real software.

EZ Drummer also creates the additional midi port and I get the same little notification when it is loaded. That's normal and unrelated. The Korg is your problem.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  7. kelaynak

kelaynak Newbie

Hi again guys, I've an update about the problem, I've tried to install Korg Taktile 49 in Studio One Pro 5 and used these methods respectively;
    "1) Add Mackie > HUI as an external device in preference. Set "Receive From" to "taktile DAW In" and "Send To" to "DAW Out".
    2) Add New Keyboard device. Set "Receive From" to "taktile KEYBOARD/CTRL". "Send To" would be None.
    3) Add New Instrument device. Set "Send To" to "taktile CTRL". Check "Send MIDI Clock". This device configuration is to sync BPM between StudioOne and taktile. If you don't need to sync BPM, skip this.
    4) On Taktile, select "Pro Tools" scene.
    5) Done. DAW functions should work fine now. Play/Stop/Loop buttons will work well. Also when Control Mode is off, all knobs, faders, solo/rec/mute selections would be working with StudioOne. When Control Mode is on, CC MIDI messages are sent to the virtual instrument in which you have to configure the behaviour of the CC."

After these settings, everything worked like a charm in Studio One Pro 5 even I load the plugins from Toontrack, there is no problem. Also I've used these methods for Logic;

1) Add Mackie Control or Mackie HUI device in your DAW software. Select 'DAW In' port for input and 'DAW Out' port for output.
    2) Configure MIDI keyboard device in your DAW software. Select 'KEYBOARD/CTRL' port for input.
    3) Configure MIDI clock device in your DAW software. Select 'CTRL' port for output.
    4) Select appropriate scene on Taktile. If you added Mackie HUI device, 'Pro Tools' scene should work fine. If you added Mackie Control device, check different scenes and find out which scene works perfect with your DAW. In order to check out, test Marker, and Loop buttons.
    5) Assign CC messages (with Control Mode on) to each virtual instruments.

Still same when I load the plugin that creates virtual inputs as @clone says, the controller part of midi keyboard stops working. I wonder that what is the difference between two DAW's also I want to say that SO5 doesn't have support/compatible for Korg Taktile 49 but as I see at Controller Setup Page of Logic, Logic Pro X has support/compatible for Korg Taktile 49. (Logic & Studio One Pro 5).

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

If you never want to get to the bottom of your problem with Logic and your Korg, keep adding variables and other programs to it to keep it interesting.

In the Control Surfaces Setup screenshot you included, you show the Mackie HUI with it selected. But at the top, you show another Device which is the Korg. Why is it not the Korg selected?

Do you even have a Mackie HUI? If no, then it should not be listed at all. Remove it.

If your Korg device is not functioning correctly, remove it and reinstall it correctly. A lot of these USB connected devices need you to do 2 things, possibly different. You either install the software with nothing connected and then connect it; or you connect it, power up the device, and then install software. If you do that one thing incorrectly during installation, it will fail to install correctly and you end up where you are now. An Installation Loop. over and over, it says the same error and what to do to fix it. That never works. The answer is to install the device correctly from the get-go. You might want to even Rebuild Defaults after all of this. Your first goal should be to get the Korg working correctly within Logic. Do not go straight to Toontrack plugins. Verify it is working in Logic and with Stock plugins only. With Alchemy or something....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022