Logic Pro - What AU plugins are "missing" out of the box?

Discussion in 'Logic' started by mercurysoto, Dec 9, 2013.

1. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Hi guys. I have Been a Pro Tools user since 2007, and I finally I guess I'll bite the bullet and jump ship. I have a copy of Logic Pro 9 I'm testing in order to leap to Logic Pro X and upgrade to Maverics. Although I love the familiarity I have with PT, it's time to move on to a more robust DAW, and it seems Logic has all the basis covered.

I have some questions. Stock Pro Tools has a good number of tools right out of the box. Some thngs likes spectrograph or RMS loudness metering don't come in the bundle (version 9), so this got me thinking.

What tools in the Logic stock bundle seem to be lacking?
    What would I have to resort to from third-party developers (in the freeware world)?
    Are there any plugins or VIs that might have been better?

I don't mean to get the PT-vs.-the-world wars. Instead, I'd like some guidance from Logic power users. BTW, I mostly produce rock music, and VIs and analog emulations count for me.

Thanks a lot.

Carlos

3. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Thanks, Xsze. What held me back was the fresh start on another system, but like I said before, time to dive in. I'll start with my MacBook Pro and see what happens. Very much appreciated.

4. Rolma

Rolma Guest

currently working on Logic X and feeling that the synchronization btw an aspiring way of making music and the feedback visualization meet

5. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

I find the stock Logic plugin set is fairly strong on instruments, synths at least, and fairly weak on processors and meters. If you're coming from PT you will notice this, as their respective primary usages tend to dictate their tools. PT is great for live tracking and mixing (and getting better at mastering in the latest version) but pretty weak for sequencing and arranging, a great strength for Logic. If you want something that complements Logic and provides strong processing and metering for tracking/mixing, check out iZotope Ozone Advanced: it has every critical processor - many of them multiband - fabulous metering, and adheres to industry standards. Many of the processors can be run simultaneously on a single instantiation. Can't recommend it enough.

6. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Thanks Frubbs for your reply. I have been getting my teeth cut at Logic and I feel I bit differently about it, I have to admit. I come from a Pro Tools background that dates back to 2007, and I had to learn signal path processing, how to work a compressor, and stuff like that to make it work. I'm glad I did. Unlike PT, I find Logic has very well thought out signal paths already configured in the library menus. From that standpoint, it's easier for me to tweak things to my advantage. BTW, I like the stock compressor. It's simple and clear. No awful artifacts. One thing that stuck me hard is noticing the one-button process to replace drum hits with midi notes. It is great. After a few hours, I find Logic to be quite logical.

Peace.