Logic Pro - Record Guitar Latency Issue

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Vincent Price, May 17, 2024.

1. Hello

I am in need of some help. I am trying to record guitar in Logic Pro for a session, and everything is fine, until I start recording at which point there is massive latency (I am using an Apollo Twin MK2 Duo)

I don't know why, I have altered the buffer settings and still this is making no difference and I have removed all other plugins just for the sake of elimination as I do know some abbey road plugins cause massive latency

I am at the point where I am thinking about just using a Native Instruments guitar Kontakt library just to get this done

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Did you recently switch computers, or did you already update to Logic 11? Did you have it recording without excessive latency before that change? Have you tried this in an empty Logic project? Have you tried it a Luna project, if you also use that?

4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

You're probably not direct monitoring the guitar input but rather the latent round trip signal.

5. It is fine in am empty Logic Pro session

6. executioner

executioner Guest

1. Set Buffer Size lowest possible. 64 is fine.
    2. Monitor via UAD Console and disable Input monitoring in Logic.
    3. In Logic: Record > (Enable) Low Latency Monitoring Mode.

Tip #3 should solve the latency in your recordings as it will bypass all plugins that introduce latency while tracking.

7. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Platinum Record

So it's a problem with a plugin causing latency. I've seen this several times when people have a limiter like the popular FabFilter Pro-L 2 on the mix bus. If you hover your mouse over plugins in Logics mixer, it will show you how much latency is introduced.

8. The thing is, in terms of effects, which are the most common cause of latency in my experience, I took all the effects plugins off, and it still did it. So it's an instrument plugin that is causing it?

9. How am I supposed to listen to my guitar with amplitube on then? If I can't hear the affected signal?

10. executioner

executioner Guest

I assumed it was acoustic. Anyways, you have two options:

1. If you have a track with Amplitube + Other latency-inducing plugins, create a new track with just Amplitube and enable Low Latency Monitoring Mode. After recording, drag the audio from the "tracking" track to your "full-fx" track.
    2. If you want an even lower latency monitoring option, insert an amp of your choice in the UAD Console and just have it on "UAD MON" to monitor your signal temporarily.

In any case, enabling Low Latency Monitoring will solve the recording latency. Option 1 and 2 are just regarding the live monitoring of your signal.

These two options will also prevent you from constantly adjusting the volume fader after tracking too, since you'll usually monitor at a louder level. That's why, it's the most convenient to monitor from the UAD console or create a dedicated "Tracking" track.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2024
  11. "If you want an even lower latency monitoring option, insert an amp of your choice in the UAD Console and just have it on "UAD MON" to monitor your signal temporarily"

How, am I able to insert amplitube into the UAD console?

12. executioner

executioner Guest

You don't? This is just a matter of monitoring your signal... Since you want to hear what you're playing, run your signal into any of the amps in UAD for the best monitoring experience. If you want to monitor with Amplitube, do Option 1 then. As long as your buffer size is low, and Low Latency Monitoring Mode is on, you won't have any issues.

13. jrudess

jrudess Noisemaker

How about using Amplitube in standalone mode while you record in Logic? You'll get a DI in Logic, and be able to hear your amplified signal through the standalone version of Amplitube

14. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Platinum Record

Doesn't make a difference, because any standalone app has to use an audio interface for input and output as Logic does, resulting in same latency at same buffer size.

15. jrudess

jrudess Noisemaker

Agreed. That being said, you can have different buffer sizes configured on each. You can setup to have 32 samples of buffer in Amplitube standalone, and 1024 in Logic for example. I've done this in the past for tracking and it works just fine.

Also, OP has an issue with a specific plugin, meaning they audio interface isn't the issue here. Some plugins introduce further latency than the one introduced by your audio interface.