Logic Pro & Nexus - Sub bass drop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vincent Price, Jun 14, 2024.

1. Hello

I am wondering, does anyone know how to do a sub bass drop in Nexus on Logic? I need to do one and I don't know how or if it is possible

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

3. Imnotr2r

Imnotr2r Newbie

Creating a sub bass drop using Nexus in Logic Pro is definitely possible, and I'll guide you through the process step-by-step. Here's what you need to do:

1. Open Logic Pro and Create a New Project:
      • Start a new project or open an existing one where you want to add the sub bass drop.
    2. Add Nexus as a Software Instrument:
      • Create a new software instrument track by clicking the "+" button.
      • In the instrument slot of the new track, select "ReFX" and then "Nexus" to load the Nexus plugin.
    3. Select a Sub Bass Preset:
      • Open Nexus and browse through the presets. Look for a sub bass preset. You can find these under categories like "Bass," "Synth Bass," or "Trap."
      • Select a sub bass preset that you like. If you can't find one, you might need to adjust an existing preset to make it more suitable for a sub bass drop.
    4. Create a MIDI Region:
      • Draw a MIDI region in the timeline by selecting the Pencil tool (press Command + Click on the timeline).
      • Double-click the MIDI region to open the Piano Roll editor.
    5. Program the Sub Bass Drop:
      • In the Piano Roll, draw a long note (usually a low C or D) to create the sub bass drop.
      • To create the drop effect, you'll need to automate the pitch bend. You can either use the pitch bend wheel on your MIDI controller while recording, or you can draw the automation manually.
    6. Automate the Pitch Bend:
      • In the track header, click on the "Automation" button or press "A" on your keyboard to open the automation view.
      • Select "Pitch Bend" from the parameter list.
      • Draw an automation curve that goes from the start pitch (e.g., zero) down to the lowest pitch you want for the drop.
    7. Fine-Tune the Sound:
      • Adjust the length of the MIDI note to match the desired duration of your drop.
      • Tweak the Nexus preset settings to make sure the sub bass has the right amount of depth and impact. You might want to adjust parameters like the filter cutoff, resonance, or envelope settings.
    8. Add Effects (Optional):
      • To enhance the sub bass drop, consider adding some effects .This can give it more presence and make it stand out in the mix.
    9. Mixing:
      • Make sure the sub bass drop sits well in your mix. You might need to use an EQ to cut out any unnecessary frequencies and a compressor to control the dynamics.

4. Imnotr2r

Imnotr2r Newbie

Here’s a summary of the key steps:
    1. Load Nexus on a new software instrument track.
    2. Select a sub bass preset.
    3. Create a MIDI region and program a long note.
    4. Automate the pitch bend for the drop effect.
    5. Adjust the sound and add effects as needed.
    Following these steps should help you create a powerful sub bass drop using Nexus in Logic Pro. If you have any specific questions or need further details, feel free to ask!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
  5. Would there be any videos around detailing this? I find I tend to learn better when shown things visually, cheers!

6. Imnotr2r

Imnotr2r Newbie

Open youtube : Search for Creating a sub bass drop in Logic Pro.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

For a sinewave only sub bass in Logic you should figure out how to use the Utility plugin Test Oscillator. If you only want it to trigger at the same time, underneath something else; you can use a Noise Gate plugin sidechained. You can alter the sub tone by frequency.