Logic Pro 10.5.1 problem with Playhead

Discussion in 'Logic' started by WillyA, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

You must ask Oly to do that.

2. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Yhea, that makes sense. It coincides with the roll of out of Metal2 API and the end of life for Quartz. Like I said I don't know much of about virtualization, every VM I've ever used has been text mode LXC/Docker for the most part. I thought VT-d allowed for pass through to the graphics card. Metal2 is well supported on all modern GPUs as for the most part it is just a joining of OpenGL and OpenCL in a unified API.

IORegistry Explored does report that the discreet AMD GPU on this iMac does load 5 threads on an empty Logic window. The needle barley moves on play but it seems that Logic's entire UI is accelerated on multiple cores on the GPU. You can even see them get released on exit from Logic. Seems to be a CPU optimization for Logic and Metal2 is platform agnostic so there are advantages to gain when running 2 chipset s later when Apple will sell Intel and its own ARM platform.

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.36.09 AM.png

@WillyA

If you want to try for fun you can try to pass through the graphics from MacOS straight to the dGPU on your system. I don't know if windows will even let your build a VM with VT-d for graphics. I know how it's technically possible on ARCH or LFS Linux I am sure there is plenty of info on how to build a your own super-light vm console and run a MacOS VM on it.

Good luck, if you love pain and frustration you've picked a good puzzle :)

3. WillyA

WillyA Producer

I'm afraid I'm too old for pain and frustration, that's why I deleted Catalina. Apple can put everything they produce in future where the sun never shines. I hate Microsoft and Bill Gates in particular, but now Apple have joined their ranks. It's less painful to use Windows. I run CentOS for servers, I know my way around Linux, but I'm too old and too fond of playing guitar and making music, to waste time learning all the intricasies of some Linux flavour before I can play again

4. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

You are a 100% correct life is too short for all that mess. Sorry it didn't work out.