Locking ID3 Tags of mp3

Discussion in 'Software' started by Highdom, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Hi boys, i'm near to release a track for free download from soundcloud. I'd like to lock tags of that file to make people can't edit artist/year/album ecc... It's possibile? If i work only in one operative system, like windows i mean. I think locking id3 tag for mac and windows seems to be impossible.
    Thanks AudioSex!

3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

No. People can re-encode your track to a new file and still change the ID tag.

4. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Yes of course if you want you can re-bounce the file, this is sure but if i want to lock tags only just for that mp3 file? Can be possibile?
    I mean, lots of people that listen music doesn't know how to rebuilt MP3 in daws and like this and they'll keep original one's

5. dv8r171

dv8r171 Member

Why would anyone do that??

6. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

You generally can't, but people most people don't edit tags anyway. You can try to make new tag fields or something of the sort that some clients might not display.

EDIT: you can attach an image an maybe stick something special in the pic/metadata? duno if it'll be preserved.

7. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Thanks, that's right

8. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

Set them as read-only.
    On the .mp3 file, right click > properties > select read-only.

This is on for windows. I don't know about mac, but if you do that on a windows, I guess it will still stay as read-only.

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Sure you make the file read-only but the person who downloaded can make it read/write again so that's pointless.
    There is no way to lock the id3 tag of a mp3 file.

10. MaddMannMuzik

MaddMannMuzik Newbie

there is a way to do this using harmor for fl studio. You can insert an image or text info, and it embeds it in the audio translating the text or image to audio frequencies. even though it wont be in your meta data, you could open the wav or mp3 up and see your info in the spectrum of your audio. if i can find the tutorial ill post it here. but that was even if it was re-encoded, the information is integrated with the audio and impossible to remove. not even with phase reversal.

11. MaddMannMuzik

MaddMannMuzik Newbie

12. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Wow! Amazing man!