locating kontakt factory presets folder in another place?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by jesse miles, Nov 23, 2017.

1. jesse miles

jesse miles Newbie

Is there any way to locate the kontakt factory presets folder in another place than
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\presets ??
    cannot find how to set the path to the factory presets folder inside kontakt5
    It takes up quite a space in my ssd.. not a problem but bugs me a little..

3. Kloud

Kloud Guest

How much space you talking & why the presets folder take up a lot of space? In general factory presets are simply nkp files that take up about 500MB? Do you possibly mean something else such as factory library itself?
    Non defined library path during the installation always C: > Users > Public > PublicDocuments...........User Presets can be saved anywhere.
    Far as I'm aware, Factory library preset location normally generated on install Kontakt itself & with corresponding info in registry/encrypted as configuration settings in program data.
    Good luck :bow:

4. jesse miles

jesse miles Newbie

no you're right it's about 500mb and i just thought it'd would be great to move the folder on to an external drive or so to earn me 500mb of free space!
    well if that's the case i would just keep them there
    thank you anyway!

5. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Well never tried it & not saying it deffo work but one possible solution is simply to clone the presets and save in user defined location and then delete from hard drive. Never tried it personally but could possibly work as kontakt should automatically update configuration settings.
    Back em up just to be safe and replace if it goes wrong.

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

As far as I know the part of Kontakt installation that weights the most are the factory convolution impulse responses (not talking about factory library here). For compatibility reasons there still are the Kontakt 4 ones.

Don't remember exactly where are stored though

7. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Convoution - PC by default is
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\presets\Effects\Convolution
    here you find nkp and also some IR samples in wav format.

Again user defined location would be
    C:\Users\"UserName"\Documents\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\presets\Effects\Convolution

Again....IR convolution effect in Kontakt has the added bonus of drag & drop therefore any IR samples in WAV format can just be cloned & shifted to an external to free up some space as long as u know where they located.
    Whether Kontakt automatically would update configuration settings on this occasion I couldnt' say :bow:

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Yes, I said it because that's the folder who takes almost all the space the OP @jesse miles commented.

I think he wants to move them to another drive without "breaking" anything. Even if you know how to locate them it must be annoying doing it by hand when a library uses them.

Your good informative comments are equally valid and needed anyway, he has to know them no matter what he wants to do.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  9. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Yeah its the K4 impulses in nkx that takes up the vast majority as far as I'm aware as you mentioned.
    With Wav files etc NKP needed so best idea from my own guess would be unless absolutely essential leave that kind of stuff well alone unless you absolutely certain or you could end up messing the installation up :yes:

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

A possible solution would be using the now famous hard links (symbolic links).
    For 500MB I don't think it's worth it but once you learn the trick you can save a lot of space in the system disk.

Anyway, I'm kinda keeping the conversation just because of your nice and useful replies @Kloud ))

11. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Yeah thought the same thing myself lol but who knows quite possibly another solution to the problem. If like some claim could maybe extact IR samples or contents of NKX, store & some kind of registry tweak lol but I not sure :no:...Maybe some other ways exist also :dunno:
    Like u say for 500MB purely from my personal perspective the present situation wouldn't require the time & effort required to justify such an approach.....For others, maybe it's different :bow::bow:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2017