Local Rock Band Im Recording

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by subGENRE, Mar 16, 2016.

1. spencer26

spencer26 Platinum Record

Its Close. Pull the cymbals back a bit and try the lead vocal completely dry. Think Rage Against the Machine. Guitar sounds great. Very Beatles.

2. spencer26

Hi hat is not center..
    If hi hat is coming from overheads Mono them they are distracting anyway.

3. spencer26

Pull the double on the lead vocal way back.
    Something about the track now is shitting me. I think its the lead vocal not earthy enough for this sort of music. The cymbals are actually way to loud. Try thinning up the Backing vocals. Hipass them at 300hz or even more they are taking up to much space.

4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I LOVE it when spencer gives me compliments on my self taught-learned techniques :speaker:

5. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

I have been watching this thread but never listen to anything.... silly me, but
    from the 1st pass to the 10 pass is crazy soo much more energy and lust but imo,

it's still lacking it's dynamic range, or it's just me but the snare is bite with no crunch where's the 1k bring up 3db?,
    where are the tom hiding, i need more energy in the low end around 60hz-150hz,

Guitar are too edgy drop 1k about 3db, bring up the low and gritty.
    Cymbals are way annoying needs some high pass luv... i may be wrong but will double check in the morning with fresh ears.

Tell then keep up the good work:bow:

Spencer26 you da man

6. spencer26

Ok use the lead vocal to duck the solo guitar about 3db. We have to clean the track up. I am fishing.

7. spencer26

I think in the mastering maybe dip a bit around 100hz and bring up some 40hz. Will have to wait and see once we can get some space back in the track. I think its the fucking cymbals. I have actually walked over to drummers on sessions I was producing and grabbed the stand and walked away with cymbals.

8. spencer26

If I was mixing the track I would still have to go through all of this to get "The Sound"
    You try so many things in a mix that you throw out. All of us at times will completely start again.
    The difference is we do it quickly we don't have to pass it through Soundcloud.

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

4 am here. I did everyhting that was just suggested except duck the gtrs with the vox. Tomorrow is sunday, I will put another pass up earlier than usual. Promise! I have learned SO MUCH. Thanks Spencer!
    --
    Mikey Thai

10. spencer26

Pass 9 was way better what have you changed.

11. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

was cleaner, its too loud right now. I hear it too

12. spencer26

We have got to get this back on track. I think you should have a listen without the bass. It seems to be taking a lot of room. I think it could be lopassed and grunged up more. Go back to without the vocals but lead guitar, much lower cymbals and see where we are going.
    I am just a bit lost. I am so used to grabbing the knobs without thinking.

13. spencer26

I keep thinking doubling the snare with a lower sample with less thwack! This could be wrong though. But I would try it.

14. spencer26

If you have anything on the master bus take it off. This could be clouding everything. It does not matter at this stage if the track sounds soft. We just turn our speakers up.

15. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

before i head off...

around 7k to 9k needs a boost on the whole track but that will make the guitars too bright

16. spencer26

I think the cymbals have clouded the definition in the track. Also the vocal effects are also clouding the track. We have to get back to the ballsey feel we had. Its best just to back track. This happens quite often in mixing when you are pushing the envelope. Lets back track. Ignoring the basic problem is not the way to go. You are only covering mistakes. I did not expect this track to go this way but it is sort of good for an educational purpose. Lets get ourselves out of this mess.
    Spencer

17. spencer26

Lets hear what the drums on there own sound like. Do we really need to sync a sample to the snare to get some depth. Lets hear it.
    Lets judge where the cymbals are. Lets see if the toms have enough bottom end. Is there enough note.
    I am sorry taking subGENREs time but lets see where we are drum wise.

18. spencer26

Mr. subGENERE send me a 10sec WAV of raw unprocessed snare drum top mike track. I want to have a play with it. There is something I am missing.
    [email protected]

19. real

real Kapellmeister

This thread is the best thing on the whole internet. Keep going guys. Anybody reading this thread has already learned so much.

20. Victor

Victor Noisemaker

Hello, I just tried to edit this track a little to my taste. What I did was make a fade in at the beginning, multiband compression to control the lower bass and a little bit on the highs, small EQ cut -3.5 dB at 3,60 kHz to tame the hi-hat and change the balance of the snare vs hi-hat/cymbals, used Fabfilter Saturn with Warm Tube 2 band with small 14% overdrive and cut the Bass freq by -2,20 dB, used compression to control the peaks, then a small cut with EQ at 3153 Hz to tame the cymbals again, then a De Esser between 9.225-10.86 kHz, and then an EQ cut at 126 Hz because the bass B note was bothering me, sounding louder than every other notes. I have used Fabfilter plugins, except the first EQ wich was T-Racks classic EQ to do the 3,60 kHz cut.

As you can notice, my mix feels a little brighter since the cymbals sound a little more open.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016