Local Rock Band Im Recording

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by subGENRE, Mar 16, 2016.

1. spencer26

spencer26 Platinum Record

OK Need more definition on the bass. Try some 1.5k. Way more reverb on the drums and compress the return. Snare is too loud and cymbals are missing. I think your monitors are too brite. Hi pass the HiHat at about 400hz and Lopass at about 5-7k and add more to the mix. If they are washy you can try gating them but dont setup drum sounds in solo listen in context. If you have a bottom snare mike bring that up to get some of the sizzle or gate some white noise with the snare. Just adding enough to get the sizzle. It sounds a bit like a stick hitting a wooden block. Take out 400hz on the snare and let it breath. On drums 400hz is the magic resonance frequency to duck.
    Get the drums and bass right before moving on. Are there no toms playing. A trick with the toms is to cut between every tom hit and just leave the hit till just before the next drum or cymbal. When you clean the toms like that you can bring them right up without creating a wash over the mix. Fill in the sustain of the toms with the bottom from the equed overheads. You wont notice the tom tracks being chopped off.
    Dont be scared of reverb on the drums as it will make them sound bigger and will be covered by the guitars and Vocals.
    Spencer

2. spencer26

Get rid of the room mike. You have no control over that and it usually clouds the drums unless its an incredible room. But you are better off getting your room sound with Reverb. You can control every parameter. On the Drums EQ is before the compression and limiting.
    Also I said the 6030 on all 5 busses. This means the bass as well. Then the second limiter is the 1176.
    The first compressor lets the attack of the bass thru. The second just evens out the level.
    And I mean really squash the drum reverb so its almost one level.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Another pass

I think the drums and bass sound much better now.
    I'm going to start compressing and treating the drums and bass in the other track now.
    I was just listening to the first pass and then this one, and WOW. Like someone took the wool blanket off of the speakers. Well as far as the drums and bass go that is. I can really hear how the clarity is missing from the vocals and gtrs now.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  4. spencer26

You are not listening...
    The drums are not in a space. I will teach you no more till you fix it. One fucking knob turn the drum reverb up.
    You are monitoring too loud. I am listening at a level where you don't wake somebody up in the next room. Turn your monitors down to where you can have a normal conversation over them and then tell me the drums are in their own space.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

More verb? Its squashed and crankin but ok

6. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

more cowbell!

7. spencer26

Yes I always like the Cowbell but the Castanetes are the real winner.
    I hope you have bought the MeldaProduction MXXX as I have just built and tested my mastering chain in MXXX. I will be uploading the preset here when we have got the mix right.
    Spencer

8. spencer26

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 1.43.02 AM.jpg

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I have learned to be cautious in applying fx and technique, especially when its some thing new. Turn it up then back it off. We all made that same mistake when we started out of over applying everything and killing the sound or mix. Especially when it came to verbs. Maybe its just automatic now, get it where you think its right then back it off a little. You know what I mean?
    Mikey Thai

10. spencer26

Yes I know the problem. I listen back to a Big Band album I did in the Seventies and its swamped with reverb. Sometimes I hate it sometimes I love it. One of the drum parts of that album has been sampled on about 26 hiphop records. So who knows.
    What I am thinking here it is a rock band playing in a big venue. Its got to sound like that. Bring the drum reverb up to where you can really hear it then give it another 1.5db. Then upload a mix with no lead guitar and no vocals. It should sound huge.

11. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Had some personal issues come up. A sudden unexpected death in my immediate family. I will be back, PROMISE......

12. Hardlock

Hardlock Ultrasonic

some of this is interesting and some is bullshit.
    I do agree on the McDsp 6030 is nice ,anyway have fun!!

13. spencer26

Hardlock please tell me what you think is bullshit. Or just wait till we reach a final mastered mix.

14. Hardlock

Hardlock Ultrasonic

spencer26
    Hello Fellow Australian from Byron Bay:wink: us engineer's are watching the progress as you explain the art of mixing. Spencer26 as a self confessed Professional Producer you should have a far greater understanding whilst using communication mediums that using belittling remarks whilst trying to teach does not constitute a great teacher,nor person. In future it would be greatly appreciated if the tone in which you communicate to other members would be respectable without swearing and not be used as an inclusive methodology of explanation, that was my reference to "Bullshit". As for the project at hand I'll wait for the final mix to reserve my opinion on the years and decades of experience you mentioned you have :)

subGENRE Keep up the great work mate :wink:, A Little partial of your pass 5 mastered Radio Ready , Enjoy!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  15. spencer26

When I am trying to pass on my knowledge before I leave this planet and somebody is not listening I get pissed off. I am sorry if my language offends anybody but if the person in question was in the same room as me I would say they same thing. What is the point of trying to educate somebody and they are not taking notice. Time is short.
    Spencer

16. Hardlock

Hardlock Ultrasonic

Spence i'm sure you are well experienced in the Art of creativity find different avenues of frustration for redirection mechanisms
    continue the class my friend , teach the student how to create a great mix :wink:

Happy Easter to you and your family mate:wink:

17. spencer26

And what I am meaning with the drums is More Led Zepelin. The guitars are going to need stuff but the vocals sound great to me. Maybe a 1/8th single delay might be good. But I would like to hear Drums Bass and Rhythm Guitar so as I can make suggestions on rhythm guitars. I was thinking maybe Trent Reznoir guitar rhythm sound.

18. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

Bullshit. Go to a martial arts class and complain if the teacher is rough LOL. Yeah, I know it's not the same but if they were my tracks and someone went this far to teach me (asking nothing) I wouldn't really care if he was rough. Because he is, but he's not disrespectful (at least so far). So there is that.

As a beginner, I'm really enjoying this thread and teachings. Nothing is set in stone, and some things may seem completely wrong to someone, but having new tools and ideals at your disposal is hardly a bad thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Okay, did some more work to it. More reverb etc. Here's a pass with no vox or lead gtrs.

--
    Mikey Thai

20. spencer26

OK. Way More Reverb on the drums. Compress the shit out of the guitars then put some saturation on them and add this space. Lots of it. This will make the drums sound dry.
    rverb.jpg